drank Cookie Dough by DAVIDsTEA

Heck yes, it’s new tea time! Finished grinding all my asparagus samples (well… technically there are some left, but they either rotted in the freeze-dryer and are suspect, or are extras from last year, soooooo…. I’m done!) and my treat was a trip to DavidsTea. A very expensive treat, as it turned out… 6 new teas, 26g of Earl Grey Cream & Gold Rush…. and a new sparkly black Timolino! Because I need to be able to take multiple teas with me at all times! (My Christmas list will include a Timolino-esque thermos that’s stainless steel and leakproof, but somewhat less good at holding the heat, so I can actually drink the tea I put in it…) Um, anyways. That was an expensive trip to DT.

Onto tea #1! When I first opened my bag of this one, I was hit by a very alcoholic, sweet-smelling aroma. Definitely good, but nothing like Buttercream, and nothing like cookie dough. However, once steeped, the aroma of this one is almost exactly like cookie dough! When someone with a heavy hand was allowed to add the vanilla, haha. I’m getting a strong vanilla extract flavour here (which ties into the alcoholic aroma), but it totally does smell like raw chocolate chip cookie dough… minus the chocolate (maybe it’s more like raw sugar cookie dough?? I’m not sure; I don’t like sugar cookies).

Hmm. I’m not sure I like this one as much as I want to. It strangely almost tastes a bit stale in my mouth, which should be impossible since it’s a brand new tea, that I just bought! The aftertaste is quite nutty, which fits nicely, but this almost stale-ish flavour is throwing me off. I really want to like this…. perhaps I’ll let it cool down a bit more. The right tones are all here otherwise. That said, even if a bit of cooling (or a different brewing method, e.g. with cooler water as I would normally have done with a white, not near-boiling!) loses that stale flavour, this isn’t a huge hit for me. It’s ok, I’d drink it again, but it’s nothing like Buttercream IMO. Then again, I’m also not one of those people who is obsessed with cookie dough. And I don’t usually eat raw cookie dough. So I think this will be a hit with such people, just not me!

(It’s cooled down now and still has that stale note. I tentatively blame the high infusion temperature, so hopefully I remember to reduce it next time).

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.