… Brewed this one up today and it literally tastes like nothing. I mean, I can tell that I’m drinking more than hot water, but beyond that? Nothing but a touch of sweetness. I used two rounded teaspoons and steeped for 2.5 minutes in near-boiling water, so I have no idea why it’s so flavourless. Apparently when I tried the sample from (CHAroma?) I thought it was alright, but this is from the package I received from 52teas’ Grab Bag sale a while back. Hopefully I can coax some flavour out of it next time with a longer infusion/more tea?? :(

CHAroma

Hmm, that’s weird. I don’t think the maple flavoring was very strong in this one to begin with. So maybe it just doesn’t last? :(

Kittenna

You sent me some of this, yes? The sample you (or whoever it was! :P) sent was tasty, but this pouch I received in the Grab Bag sale is flavourless. I’ll give it another shot, but… (The same thing definitely happened to me with Pot O Gold as well. Got a sample from Amy oh and it was great, but the pouch I got in the grab bag sale is less so, although it has enough flavour to be worth drinking!)

CHAroma

Yeah, I gave you a sample of it. I think the flavor in this one just doesn’t last very long. I made a cup after reading your note and it didn’t taste nearly as good as it did a few months ago. There’s virtually no maple left.

Comments

CHAroma

Kittenna

CHAroma

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.