Just brewed up a cup of this to compare to the upgraded version, and yeah, definitely more chocolatey notes here! Strangely though, I don’t know whether it’s because it has cooled or what – I think I actually prefer this one in a travel mug! I’m not liking it quite as much just having it now. This, of course, is not a problem at all, because I absolutely adore it in my mug (aside from that one time it was a bit odd), and therefore can drink it more often, ahahaha.

ETA: This is now cold, and I take it back! It’s amazing in my cup. Chocolatey with a raisin finish. Bluuuhhhh want mooooorrreeeee….

Kashyap

OK I will ask…how do you get an Assam (a region in India) out of Taiwan? Is this like a Chinese Sencha? Or a Nepalese Pu Erh? Why can’t our tea community strive towards transparency and stand on its creations and traditions and new movements rather than succumb to blatant marketing ploys…If I’m over speaking I will apologize. In addition I’m overjoyed you found something you love and are in tea heaven…

Kittenna

Honestly, I don’t know the answer to your question, but I imagine Stacy at Butiki could be of more help! Place of origin wasn’t a factor in my decision to purchase this tea at all, it was entirely on taste, and this is crazy delicious.

From the tea description, however:

Our Premium Taiwanese Assam is sourced from Yuchih Township in Nantou County, Taiwan. Assam bushes were brought to Taiwan in the early twentieth century but have since been refined by the Taiwan Research and Extension Station. The long dark chocolate-colored leaves produce a sweet fruity aroma. This malty tea has rich chocolate notes with notes of cinnamon, clove, and raisins.

Cavocorax

It sounds delicious.

Cavo – this is a good one!

Donna A

One of my favorite Assam teas.

Comments

Kashyap

Kittenna

From the tea description, however:

Cavocorax

It sounds delicious.

Cavo – this is a good one!

Donna A

One of my favorite Assam teas.

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.