Weekend backlog time! Nearly finished off my packet of this one now in time for the arrival of my new one. Just one cup’s worth left or so. Just love this tea, and even the second/third infusions :D

Fjellrev

I’m glad that you were able to snag some since I know you love this one too! I totally missed out. Ugh. But luckily he’s making even more soon.

Kittenna

Yeah – it sold out super quickly! Glad I just happened to be online and noticed when he put it up (even before the email went out/post went up on the discussion board).

CrowKettle

I think you’re the reason I ordered some of the re-blend, without trying it first, in the first place (all of your tea related comments are slowly influencing my subconscious thoughts). I’m looking forward to this one! :)

Kittenna

Bahahahaha, excellent :D I really, really love this tea… and I am definitely not the only one around here who does! I just seem to be the one posting about it most frequently :D

Incendiare – if you’re ever desperate I likely have some of this in my cupboard I could send your way.

Indigobloom

Kittenna, do you know if this one needs to cure at all? I now a few of the 52teas blends do but I was hoping not in this case!

Kittenna

I’ve never really found that any 52teas blends require curing, but I know others have. I imagine I opened my packet of this right away when I got it… don’t recall any flavour differences between then and now.

Fjellrev

Don’t worry about it, Sil, I can wait! Sounds like he’ll make more within the next couple months. But thanks. :)

Yay! that makes me happy :P

Comments

Fjellrev

CrowKettle

Yay! that makes me happy :P

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.