drank Royal Wedding by Harney & Sons

Thanks to Sil for this one (via Lala)!

I brewed up one of the sachets while at my boyfriend’s house today, and was pleasantly surprised… but also disappointed. Disappointed because I clearly screwed something up (perhaps water:leaf ratio… are these teabags meant for 12 oz. cups??) and the tea was fairly astringent/bitter, but pleasantly surprised because what I could taste was delicious! So I’m quite looking forward to trying a second cup of this (I brought the bag home to re-steep, and also have at least one more to try). So, pretty much, this is a totally useless review because I can’t tell you much about the tea, except that I drank it! Haha :P

momo

Harney sachets are for 12 oz, I know this now but never remember when making tea.

Kittenna

Yeah… I felt like someone had mentioned that somewhere previously. Naturally, I only thought of this post-tasting. I actually didn’t even read the baggie that the samples were in; it’s possible that Lala noted it there as well and I just failed to read it! Oh well, it will certainly be tastier next time!

Dinosara

Yeah I feel like you can sometimes get away with 8oz cups with the black teas, but maybe it was too much for a white.

Lala

I found better luck with brewing larger amounts with the Harney sachets. There is just so much tea in them.

Kittenna

I may have actually used closer to 6 oz, which is my go-to size with sachets of any sort (since I hate weak tea). I had intended to dilute the cup once I realized it was so strong/bitter, but I was too lazy and ended up just drinking it.

Comments

momo

Dinosara

Lala

Kittenna

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.