drank Creamy Eggnog by Butiki Teas

Delicious, delicious eggnog tea. Haven’t had this in a while, but it was easily available and I was craving it, therefore I made a cup of it tonight to drink while watching the last two episodes of Once Upon a Time.

Stephanie

That is a great tea. I’ve been hoarding the last little bit of mine ;)

Chizakura

I’m so excited to try this again. I remember last time I had it, my palate was so unrefined that I tasted hot water until I added sugar. I’m going to get this again, and see the difference. :) (I drank the base tea in between then and now and I could definitely taste it no problem)

CheshireEyes

I sadly only had a sample of this tea. I want a full order but I must drink down some of my stash first :-/

Kittenna

Stephanie – I’ve been hoarding mine too… it has probably been months!

Chizakura – Yep, I’ve had that same sort of change happen to me. I remember thinking that teas were pretty watery, but now that I’m less used to juice (it’s actually a bit overwhelmingly sweet now sometimes!) I can pick up tea flavours much better, and enjoy teas I once thought were not very good.

CheshireEyes – Oh, I hear you. Do I ever. It will be so much more of a reward if you wait!

heh keep in mind it’s out of stock atm…i think stacy maybe hasn’t updated the website? t says to check back May 14th…

OMGsrsly

I really wanted this one, but it was out of stock when we did the order. Oh well. Next time (because there will totally be a next time!).

Butiki Teas

We just made a fresh batch. Should have this back on our site on Monday.

Comments

Stephanie

That is a great tea. I’ve been hoarding the last little bit of mine ;)

Chizakura

CheshireEyes

Kittenna

Stephanie – I’ve been hoarding mine too… it has probably been months!

OMGsrsly

Butiki Teas

We just made a fresh batch. Should have this back on our site on Monday.

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.