drank Lime Chiffon by Della Terra Teas

Took a cold-brew of this to the boy’s house yesterday. Tried to sweeten a bit of it for him to see if he’d like it, but definitely didn’t put enough honey in…. ah well. He said it wasn’t terrible or anything, he just still preferred juice. At least he tried it!

However, I am sad to say that I gave in yesterday and took a box of Nestea crystals home with me from his house, so he can have iced tea with his meals here (since he only likes 2% milk and I buy 1%, and I keep buying juices with coconut in them by accident (he hates coconut)… such a terrible girlfriend.). I still hope to attempt iced tea with La La Lemon…

Iced 8 min or more
Nxtdoor

I’m trying to catch up on everyone’s stories on here, and the background. It’s like a really good show that you start watching on season 3. You know NOTHING. Are you trying to convert someone? “the boy?”. Again, I’m not up to date with your progress but I am trying to get my partner to drink tea also and the path of least resistance seems to be the “juice” teas. I gave her iced pink lemonade from DAVID and she loved that. Also goji pop. Nice and sweet. Have you attempted these?

Kittenna

Hahaha, when I have time to follow people a bit more closely, I try to do the same thing! It’s kind of fun :D

But yes, the gist is that my boyfriend is the classic “smells like tea” sort of guy. All tea smells like tea, and when he ventures a guess as to the smell (based on my prompting), it is inevitably wrong, because he just picked a random flavour of of thin air. He does like bottled iced tea, so I’m trying to figure out what I can make him that he might like. I expect that “juice” teas would perhaps work for him (albeit sweetened), but I haven’t really tried thus far. My goal was to brew up/sweeten/add lemon to some black teas and see if he likes it, but I often forget to do so before he comes over. I chilled some La La Lemon the other day, but the only sweetener I had was maple syrup – he sniffed the tea and liked the smell (!!!!!) but thought it tasted funny. I blame the syrup, so want to try again with either white sugar or honey.

Anyhow, I highly doubt that I’ll ever “convert” him, but it would be nice to see him drink some tea, particularly if I could get him to reduce sugar intake by doing so (not that he necessarily needs it reduced). :D

Nxtdoor

I think new people are afraid of black tea. Because you’re right, it smells like tea! The fruit ones from DAVIDs(goji pop, mango madness, tropicalia, pink lemonade) don’t really taste or smell like tea. And then once they drink it (muahaha), you can say "did you like it? cause… it was TEA!) . Might give them confidence to try others. Booze also works. I put rum in her organic buttered rum and she liked it. ditto for vodka in the tropical teas. good luck!

Kittenna

Yeah, he shies away from “tea smell”. Sigh. Yet likes Nestea, which I personally find drying and astringent. I probably should give those fruity ones a go :D Neither of us really drinks much alcohol, so that probably wouldn’t work well for him (and would require me to buy booze… the horror!), but you’re right… I should start him off easy. Haha :)

Comments

Nxtdoor

Kittenna

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.