drank Ti Kuan Yin by Adagio Teas

I’ve had this tea for a while and I have finally gotten around to trying it. I hadn’t tried it before because every time I opened the tin it smelled so grassy. But it brews up into a very nice, light, and floral tea with only mild grassiness in the background. It has a beautiful golden color. I added some agave nectar to it since I like my tea sweet.

Brewing info: rinsed tea leaves in hot water for about 5-10 seconds then brewed with hot water (~190 F) for 3 1/2 minutes.

Update: I did NOT like this on the second brew. Brewed again for 3 1/2 minutes and the cup was very grassy. So, I recommend only one brewing of this if you want to avoid the grass flavor.

Payton

I think the grassy flavor is probably coming from the 3 minute infusion. Give 45 seconds a try, and increase in 20 second increments until you find the flavor you like. I haven’t had Adagio’s TGY, but oolongs usually seem to work well for me with a 30 second to 1 minute thirty infusion.

Kristin

I’ll try that next time. Thanks.

Jim Marks

Don’t ever, ever buy Japanese shade-grown green teas if you don’t like grassy.

Thanks Jim.

Comments

Payton

Kristin

I’ll try that next time. Thanks.

Jim Marks

Don’t ever, ever buy Japanese shade-grown green teas if you don’t like grassy.

Thanks Jim.

Rating Scale:
90-100 – Love it. Must order this one again.
75-90 – Pretty good. Maybe I’ll order it again.
60-75 – It’s ok. Drinkable. It’s not my thing, but someone else might love it. Won’t order again.
50-60 – Meh. I wish I hadn’t ordered it, but i’ll finish this cup.
30-60 – Barely drinkable. – Throwing away/giving away the rest of this one.
0-30 – Went down the drain. Too sad to even pass along to friends.

Salt Lake City, UT