Previously I tried this using a makeshift teacup gaiwan. I am now steeping this using my standard press method. I used about 3-4g of leaf, and a 2 1/2 minute steep. On the first cup the leaf only partially opens and smells minty. The taste is light roasted and vegetal. It is like pulling fresh green vines out of a fencerow and chewing on them.

Cup two is a little stronger, sweeter but otherwise similar to the first. The leaf is mostly open now. Two mugs in and it is equal to the six cups of tea I had with my earlier gaiwan experience. Like the gaiwan this still has more steeps in it.

What I can tell from this one time experience is the two methods do give subtle though different results. The gaiwan does seem to give more complex results. BUT the gaiwan method is more labor intensive. The extra effort can be part of the art and celebration of tea preparation or it may just be more work. I haven’t decided yet.

My Rating System