Interesting. When labeled Earl Grey Creme this received an 84 average rating. As Earl Grey Heaven it has a 71. Hmmm.

OK, I love bergamot. Earl Grey is not just a tea, it is an addiction. If you mess with it you better change the name – blue cornflowers are an exception, they add nothing to the flavor and are just too cute to dislike. I hate surprises when it comes to EG. The Persimmon Tree clues me in advance that this is not simply black tea and bergamot by adding Heaven to the name. So I will not be taking off points just because there is added vanilla.

The dry scent was almost alcoholic in nature so I wasn’t sure what I was in for here. The wet leaf had a similar aroma. The cup though is very nice. It is very balanced. I know this because if you read all the reviews under both listings there are an equal number saying the vanilla is heavier than the bergamot and vice versa. How you judge it depends on which flavor you want most to taste or which you dislike the most. For me personally, the vanilla could be tuned down a notch but then it would not be balanced.

This not at all bitter. It is slightly drying. As the vanilla/bergamot fade I can briefly taste the tea base before the vanilla bean aftertaste kicks in. I thought this was one of the better EGC’s I have tried. The closest comparison is The Tea Merchant’s French Earl Grey. I recall that one leaning a little heavier on the vanilla.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Lala

+1. Well said!

keychange

Yes, the Tea merchant’s EGC is pretty vanilla-heavy.

Comments

Lala

+1. Well said!

keychange

Yes, the Tea merchant’s EGC is pretty vanilla-heavy.

My Rating System