It’s snowing here. Snow? It is spring according to the calendar. Someone should tell nature to knock it off.

Oolongs I like. I am always willing to drink one. On the other hand, I never wake up thinking I need oolong. This one may just be one that might cause that to happen. Seriously.

From the moment I opened the sample I knew this was different. The dry leaf scent is grain and malt. Malt in an oolong, who knew? The leaf looks like Bai Mu Dan but darker. The wet leaf scent is dry forest leaves and malt. The liquor is deep honey colored.

The taste is wonderful honey soaked in malt. There is a light earthiness with some fruit and floral notes. This is not strongly geranium floral like most green oolongs and it is definitely not roasty tasting. It reminds me as much of Bai Mu Dan as anything. This is not so subtle that you have to search flavors out but it it is not overly anything either like I generally find in oolong.

Reading through some of the tasting notes, I think how you feel about this will depend as much on how you feel about oolong as anything. Those of us who don’t crave oolong seem to view this very favorably. Count me as impressed.

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

The little bit of snow we got melted this morning, but it is still frigid. I am so ready for spring. Also this tea looks delicious!

Cheri

It’s snowing here, too. Blah.

boychik

any peach or chestnut detected? i really like it gongfu style. do you have enough to try? i can share some if you want.
we expect snow tonight and gusty winds tomorrow. Snow in Brooklyn end of March….

K S

boychik, I have more to experiment with. I did not detect peach. Chestnut might have been there but my mind doesn’t think that way without prompting. Funny you mention peach. After drinking multiple cups of this one, I switched to Keemun grade 1, and I was just about to log it when I saw your comment. With this oolong as the lead in, the Keemun had very strong and obvious peach and cinnamon notes. I don’t recall catching those before.

boychik

turned out I never logged it. Will do it tomorrow. Maybe peach is just my imagination;)

Angrboda

Boychik, it’s not just you. I’ve defintily found peaches or stone-fruits in this type of oolong before.

ashmanra

Sometimes when I am cooking vegetables, especially sautéing them in olive oil or butter, I will smell something that triggers the most intense cravings for oolong! I generally HAVE to make some right away.

Comments

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Cheri

It’s snowing here, too. Blah.

K S