Of all the teas in Teavivre’s web store this is the one I was most curious about. I specifically requested it be included in the samples. I have only had one other rose tea and I did not like it at all, however rose and puerh together just sounds interesting.

The toucha comes wrapped in paper with four in the sample envelope. First brew per the instructions. The toucha bubbled the instant the water hit it and crumpled almost as fast. I don’t know if you are supposed to do a wash with these, so I did not. After two minutes in boiling water, the brew is very dark like burgundy wine. The leaf is almost powdery small with a bit of rose petal. The aroma is pure ripe puerh (you know that “Eeww, do I really want to drink this?” smell. To which you happily reply, “Well, yeah.”). There is only the slightest hint of rose.

The sip is not even close to what I expected. Not at all like the green puerhs I reviewed recently and definitely not nasty like the one canned cooked puerh I bought at the local international food mart. The rose is way in the background and may even reside only in my imagination. The main flavor is leather, makes me think of a horse saddle, with a bit of smoke and spice. As it cools, the smoke and spice subside but the leather remains.

Second steep, only 1 minute this time. This is the darkest cup of tea I have ever made. Dark as dark chocolate. Still that amazing leather taste and a touch of pepper. Third cup back to two minutes. Similar to the second, a little less pronounced. Fourth cup, three minutes, still flavorful but the leather is gone. Just warm and creamy now with the first real earthy notes. Still reasonably dark and flavorful. I may try to push this further later but I am pleased with today’s results. Pretty sure with real short steeps I could get a lot of cups from this but a few really intense cups just seems more appropriate.

I know puerh makes a lot of people nervous but I really like this. Interesting and complex. I kind of wish the rose came through more, but given my past experience maybe it is better this way.

Dinosara

I specifically requested this one as well in my sample. Definitely sounds interesting!

TeaBrat

It sounds nice, I’d imagine the rose being weak is actually a good thing.

Mercuryhime

The way you describe it makes it sound like how Cabernet is described. I think.

K S

Given the choice between rose and leather, I’ll take the leather. First time I have ever experienced this in a tea. If you get the chance, you really should try this and I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

TeaVivre

For this pu-erh tea, I suggest you can rinse the it like other loose leaf teas. Also, the rinsing time should not be last so long. :)

K S

Honestly, with this puerh it would seem like a crime to waste a drop of it. I will keep it in mind for future touchas.

ashmanra

This sounds wonderful. I have only had a few puer teas but I have like all of them except for one green raw puer and even that one wasn’t terrible. Maybe it is all in my head, but puer really does seem to settle an angry tummy. I will have to try this my my good friend who LOVES puer.

Comments

Dinosara

TeaBrat

It sounds nice, I’d imagine the rose being weak is actually a good thing.

Mercuryhime

The way you describe it makes it sound like how Cabernet is described. I think.

TeaVivre