I bought this tea (found here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/bee-pollen-matcha.html) because when summer rolls around, I am a little puddle of miserable. Seriously, my allergies attack with everything they’ve got and there are days where I simply cannot go outside. Last summer, I discovered green tea seemed to help with some of the symptoms, as did local honey. So when I spotted Bee Pollen Matcha, I had to try it, if only to keep on hand for when I make smoothies all summer. Mmmm smoothies. A little frozen fruit, a splash of tea, and I am in heaven. This is why I bought a blender!

This is most likely a case of mind over matter, but the first few sips of this tasted like honey to me. I don’t know if it actually does, it’s not overwhelmingly sweet, but it tastes a touch like honey. Kind of like how Honeybee from DavidsTea tastes like…well, how you imagine a bee would taste. All bzzzz and the like. But it is sweet enough and flavorful enough that while I was drinking it at work, I kept reaching for it. I tend to place my travel mug on the corner of the desk and forget it’s there until I lose my voice.

This matcha is also a good addition to my smoothies, since it provides calcium and protein. As someone on a dairy-free diet, the ability to get calcium in my tea is very important to me. A friend of mine says that “drinking tea for the health benefits is like having sex for the exercise,” but after a summer of allergies made manageable by local honey and green tea, I’m a believer. Do I think tea is going to magically make me skinner? No. Damn it. But I do firmly believe that teas like this matcha can help with things like allergies and vitamin deficiencies. If nothing else, this tea keeps me away from carbonated drinks like Coke and Dr. Pepper….mmm, Dr. Pepper. It also helps me cut back on sugary fruit juices and heart attack causing energy drinks. Matcha is all I need to get that rush to help me make it through my day. And this particular matcha is a tasty, tasty option. I love it! A sweet green tea that makes you feel like you’re drinking something that will give you superpowers? That also helps you get your vitamins and bounce around your office like you just had a large can of Red Bull? Sign me up!

Boiling
MegWesley

I was just talking to my roommate about this! I think it sounds interesting and I could imagine it tasting like honey. I chewed honeycomb before and it was like honey bubblegum.

aisling of tea

I really enjoyed it! You should definitely try it!

Amariel

Do you have to have a matcha kit to make this aside from adding it to smoothies?

aisling of tea

Nope. My wife recently bought me a matcha whisk, but before I was just using a regular whisk in a cereal bowl. Don’t get me wrong, the matcha whisk is easier, but if you’re just starting to get into matcha and don’t want to invest in all the shiny accessories just yet, a regular whisk and bowl work fine.

Autumn Hearth

Sounds excellent, but I would think local bee pollen would be best for allergies, hmm

Kittenna

I initially thought I liked Honeybee, but later found it to be too pollen-y and floral. Presumably I’d probably think a similar thing about this matcha?

aisling of tea

@Autumn yeah, of course, but I don’t know of any local companies making bee pollen matcha :). Of course, come summer, I’ll likely sweetening it with a dab of local honey like last summer.

@Krystaleyn – I don’t find it particularly floral, but I don’t really find Honeybee to be floral either. shrugs

Comments

MegWesley

aisling of tea

I really enjoyed it! You should definitely try it!

Amariel

Autumn Hearth

Kittenna

aisling of tea

So…yeah. That’s me and my tea!

Feel free to find me on twitter, my username is ladykittykat!

Scarborough, ON