drank Apple Matcha by Red Leaf Tea

Now, I’m already a big fan of Red Leaf Tea’s green apple matcha, but that one really does taste like a green apple, tart and sweet all at the same time. Which is great, but every once in a while a girl needs a smoother apple, a juicer, sweeter apple, which is what I hope to gain from this matcha (found here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/apple-matcha.html). I’m eager to try it as a latte with vanilla soy milk and some of their Cinnamon Matcha…I’m hoping for a apple pie with ice cream kind of drink. I love apples and apple juice, so whenever I spot an apple blend, I have to try it. And there are so many things you can do with apple that I’m hoping to be able to do with this apple matcha. Apple matcha pie, anyone? Or apple fritters with an apple matcha icing…yes, please! I make homemade donuts occasionally…can you imagine a big apple cake donut covered in cinnamon sugar? I may have to make donuts in the near future. I hope this matcha lives up to all of the plans I have for it. And I hope it gives me the energy to follow through on those plans! Because now that I’ve mentioned it, if I don’t make donuts in the near future, my wife will be devastated.

Unfortunately, this is just not for me. The smell of the dry matcha has the smell of the more bitter matchas I’ve had from Red Leaf Tea, and that smell carried through into the taste of the brewed tea. It tastes something like apple candy when you power through the bitterness, which is nice, but far from the apple juice I was craving. I’m not an apple candy type of girl, unless it’s a sour apple. It might still be good as a latte, but I won’t be cooking with it, sadly. Still it isn’t terrible, and the bitterness seems to fade over time. Maybe it will still hold up to donuts, as the amount of sugar in them will balance out the bitterness. I don’t really think this is one I need to get more of, and if any of my local friends want a taste, I’m happy to share. I’ll experiment with what I have left, maybe I can find a way to fall in love with this tea. But personally I’m going to stick with the Green Apple matcha, also from Red Leaf Teas.