Today I played the Random Tea Encounter game my wife gave me, and I rolled doubles, so I picked a card. “Choose a tea with a terrible pun in the name or description (Yo ho ho-conut!), drink it, and wish you were drinking Red Rose the whole time.” My in-laws are notorious for their bad puns, and that’s how my mother in law drinks looseleaf tea, wishing it was Red Rose the whole time.

So I chose this one! And in an effort to use up the soy milk in the fridge and get myself in the habit of using it (I’m a milk drinker from way back with a complete inability to digest the stuff), I made a latte! It is incredibly tasty, I steeped the leaves in the water and then again in the milk, which I then frothed because, let’s face it, I was bored out of my mind.

I don’t think this will become my usual method of making this tea, as it is kind of time-intensive and makes it a touch too rich for my tastes, but it is delicious for a now and again treat. It tastes like something I just want to curl up with and sip the day away. I should have tried this in the winter, but on the first real spring day Toronto has seen this year, it’s a bit much. Bring on the iced teas!

Formerly aisling of tea, now you can call me ele .

New label as of May, 2015: Diabetic. I’m using tea to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings and keep me hydrated without hurting my system or messing with my blood sugar.

Ah, tea. My love for you is ever changing. At my last update, I was all about the rooibos and now I hardly drink it. I only occasionally had an oolong and now I have one just about every day. I’ve learned the art of resteeping and coldbrewing and kombucha. I have a lovely little tea pet named…well, I haven’t decided on a name for him yet. I also have five! live pets, a tabby cat named Rosabella Francis (Bella for short), a ginger cat named Orange Julius Pekoe (Pekoe), a white and grey cat named Earl Jean Grey (Earlie), a tuxedo cat (and the only boy in the house) Prince Erik Darien Darjeeling (JiJi) and a red foot tortoise named Da Hong Pao (Pao). So if you see me referring to my girls, I don’t have kids, just animals.

I am by no means a tea purist. I greatly enjoy flavored teas and I put stevia in all of my teas. It’s just how I do.

I think I’m going to name my tea pet Mr. Turtle. Even though he’s a tortoise.

Scarborough, ON