So I have a new morning habit of making myself a cup of black or oolong tea and pouring myself a glass of whatever I’ve got chilled in the fridge. By the time I’ve finished my glass of cold tea (which is exactly what my cotton-mouthed self is craving), my hot is cool enough to start drinking. When that’s gone, I usually start the process all over again.

This morning, this iced tea absolutely hit the spot…until I began eating my bagel. I know I brewed it a little weak, but with other flavors in the mix, this tea just slipped into the background until it felt like I was just drinking water. Next time, I will definitely start with more tea in the brewing stage of things. I just hate using that much tea, but I guess when I’m getting 6-7 glasses out of it, the ratio evens out.

Iced
Uniquity

I never ice my teas, I don’t really like it that much, but the beau DOES. I think I’ve read that you cold brew…What exactly do you do? Just stick some tea in some water, then put it in the fridge overnight?

aisling of tea

Well, what I do is use my MASSIVE teapot that holds 1.5 L and brew a pot. I pour it into my pitcher, and then I usually resteep the leaves for the last .5 of a L. My pitcher (from Walmart!) had a plastic tube you fill with water and then freeze that you put down in the middle of the pitcher to keep things cold without watering it down. I let everything cool on the counter for an hour or two, and then I refrigerate over night and just keep it in the fridge until it’s gone.

But if you just want to do a single cup of tea cold brew, then yeah, you just stick an infuser in a mug of cool water, stick it in the fridge overnight and wake up to cold yumminess in the morning. I prefer my method because it makes more and I can add my sugar while the tea is still hot, I’m too Southern to sweeten my iced tea any other way.

Comments

Uniquity

aisling of tea

I think I’m going to name my tea pet Mr. Turtle. Even though he’s a tortoise.

Scarborough, ON