So I have a new morning habit of making myself a cup of black or oolong tea and pouring myself a glass of whatever I’ve got chilled in the fridge. By the time I’ve finished my glass of cold tea (which is exactly what my cotton-mouthed self is craving), my hot is cool enough to start drinking. When that’s gone, I usually start the process all over again.

This morning, this iced tea absolutely hit the spot…until I began eating my bagel. I know I brewed it a little weak, but with other flavors in the mix, this tea just slipped into the background until it felt like I was just drinking water. Next time, I will definitely start with more tea in the brewing stage of things. I just hate using that much tea, but I guess when I’m getting 6-7 glasses out of it, the ratio evens out.

Iced
Uniquity

I never ice my teas, I don’t really like it that much, but the beau DOES. I think I’ve read that you cold brew…What exactly do you do? Just stick some tea in some water, then put it in the fridge overnight?

Daddyselephant

Well, what I do is use my MASSIVE teapot that holds 1.5 L and brew a pot. I pour it into my pitcher, and then I usually resteep the leaves for the last .5 of a L. My pitcher (from Walmart!) had a plastic tube you fill with water and then freeze that you put down in the middle of the pitcher to keep things cold without watering it down. I let everything cool on the counter for an hour or two, and then I refrigerate over night and just keep it in the fridge until it’s gone.

But if you just want to do a single cup of tea cold brew, then yeah, you just stick an infuser in a mug of cool water, stick it in the fridge overnight and wake up to cold yumminess in the morning. I prefer my method because it makes more and I can add my sugar while the tea is still hot, I’m too Southern to sweeten my iced tea any other way.

Comments

Uniquity

Daddyselephant

Formerly aisling of tea, now you can call me ele .

New label as of May, 2015: Diabetic. I’m using tea to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings and keep me hydrated without hurting my system or messing with my blood sugar.

Ah, tea. My love for you is ever changing. At my last update, I was all about the rooibos and now I hardly drink it. I only occasionally had an oolong and now I have one just about every day. I’ve learned the art of resteeping and coldbrewing and kombucha. I have a lovely little tea pet named…well, I haven’t decided on a name for him yet. I also have five! live pets, a tabby cat named Rosabella Francis (Bella for short), a ginger cat named Orange Julius Pekoe (Pekoe), a white and grey cat named Earl Jean Grey (Earlie), a tuxedo cat (and the only boy in the house) Prince Erik Darien Darjeeling (JiJi) and a red foot tortoise named Da Hong Pao (Pao). So if you see me referring to my girls, I don’t have kids, just animals.

I am by no means a tea purist. I greatly enjoy flavored teas and I put stevia in all of my teas. It’s just how I do.

I think I’m going to name my tea pet Mr. Turtle. Even though he’s a tortoise.

Scarborough, ON