I am pleasantly surprised by this tea! I woke up not knowing what tea I wanted, but I knew to stay away from blacks right now, astringency will only make my throat worse. When I don’t know what I want, I push myself to try some of the new teas I have that I haven’t tried yet. This was a sample in my most recent Red Leaf Teas order (the first of many, I assure you). I dumped the whole sample into my tea-for-one set (that actually makes enough to fill the base cup twice) and let it go for five minutes. After four minutes and 58 seconds, I realized it had hibiscus in it and quickly pulled it out.

Good news, everybody! The hibiscus isn’t overwhelming at all! It blends nicely with the other ingredients, though I can still taste it. This tea is helping my dry throat immensely.

That all being said, this is not a tea I would order. It’s a bit like Celestial Seasonings’ Red Zinger, but without the hibiscus being as overly harsh. But that comparison is enough to keep me away from it. It’s not a flavor I enjoy, but it is a good cup of tea for those who like such things.

I think I’m going to name my tea pet Mr. Turtle. Even though he’s a tortoise.

Scarborough, ON