drank Earl Grey Cheesecake by 52teas

I knew going in with this one that it would be an offshot for me to like it. It was almost a tea-dare for me to try it.

And yeah, I got burnt lemon ass. No, I don’t mean lemongrass. Dry and brewed the smell almost turned my stomach and now . . . not so much.

52teas

I’m always stunned to see some of these tasting notes pop up. This blend is almost two years old now. I’m kind of not surprised it’s not so good any more. Still, I’m sorry you had a bad experience with one of our blends.

aisling of tea

So, Frank, how long after blending would you like us to throw out your blends? Perhaps an expiration date is needed if they age so poorly?

52teas

Wow! I didn’t think I implied that they aged poorly. MOST tea has a shelf life of around 18 months.

aisling of tea

Well, if her bad experience is due to the tea being over two years old and changing dramatically due to it being old, then it ages poorly. I have teas that are over two years old and while they taste a little different, they still taste like the tea I purchased, they didn’t change radically. So personally I think there was more going on with this tea than just the age because I know four people who have tried it (myself included) and none of them would bother with a second cup. Maybe there’s a reason this blend in an almost full bag is being traded away two years later, but that’s just my humble opinion. shrugs

52teas

You could absolutely be correct. It’s possible I made a terrible, no-good, very bad blend. Or maybe it’s just that everyone has different tastes. I enjoyed it, and I know several other people did. I’m sorry you did not.

aisling of tea

Absolutely. I’m glad there are others who enjoy your teas. I just prefer to brew my teas with a simple kettle, infuser, and timer :)

Comments

52teas

aisling of tea

An avid tea addict in the GTA, Ontario, Canada. I’m always looking for new teas and new tea addicted friends!

My preference is loose leaf of all varieties, however the occasional bagged tea can come along and charm me. Flavoured or straight, there is a good chance that I will be falling in love.

~

My ratings system is based on the smiley faces above the ratings scale.

0-10 — This tea didn’t get past the initial sip process. I just couldn’t bring myself to drink more, I found it so horrible.

11-50 — It made it past first sips, but as I drank a bit more I realized I really wasn’t enjoying the tea, and would never drink it again.

51-60 — I probably made it through the cup, but won’t be trying another one.

61-69 — Either it’s a mystery tea and I can’t decide if I like it or not, or it is one that I felt was purely adequate.

70-85 — These are the teas that I appreciate and/or like. If they are falling in this area they are ones that I would definitely re-buy, however are not ones that I must always have on hand. The good, but not the amazing.

86-94 — These are the favourites. My cupboard feels empty if they aren’t inside.

95-100 — Tea perfection!