Silky Earl Grey

Sample package label:
“Contents: Whole leaf black Tea, w/Bergamot oil and natural flavors”
“Brewing: 1 teaspoon for 3 minutes 8-oz water @ 212*F”

8-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 25 ppm, boiled

Introduction: Teajo Teas Earl Grey is made with an Assam base. Most EG teas come from Shi Lanka formerly known as Ceylon. Having a different base tea, was a significant reason for wanting to sample this tea. Our current EG cream has a Ceylon base and I can’t get past the astringency. Also, my wife loves EG teas.

This tea has another fragrance that I can’t identify, which is at least as strong as the oil of bergamot fragrance.

Amber hue

3-min Infusion: A mild lemon taste with another equally strong enjoyable flavor that I can’t identify. I guess it’s the safflower as listed on their website:
In my experience:
– The tartness of citrus bergamia is a common characteristic of most Earl Grey tea.
– Most EG tea is mild- to medium-bodied.

Impression: A full-bodied EG without astringency, bitterness or tartness – Quite an accomplishment!

2nd 3-min Infusion: Nearly identical to the original infusion.

Suggestion: For those like my wife who love the classic EG aroma & flavor, Teajo Teas may also wish to develop another version of their Silky Earl Grey where the other natural ingredients are not as strong as the oil of bergamot – a Silky Classic Earl Grey.

Thanks to Teajo Teas for providing this most generous 10-cup free sample. I will definitely enjoy the rest of it – and that’s not something I thought I would say! Well done!

Based on this very positive first impression of Teajo teas, I would also be interested in tasting their Black Manas and Tropical Mango teas.

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit EUROFINS are also of interest. Many people drink tea for the anti-oxidant health benefits. So why would health conscious tea lovers drink tea that contains pesticide residues?

I especially enjoy teas with a natural rich chocolate flavor profile as opposed to natural bittersweet cocoa.

Complete steeping instructions on the bag are greatly appreciated:
tsp. (g) / oz. / temp. / rinse? / min. for both Western & Gongfu brewing.

Incomplete, non-specific, or cutesy instructions such as: “Just add water and enjoy.” significantly reduces the possibility that I will purchase that particular tea.

Having to discover the optimum brewing parameters through “trial & error” is too time-inefficient, wastes valuable tea and impairs the progress and joy of tea exploration.

The best tea suppliers evaluate each crop / batch of tea each year to determine the optimum brewing parameters. This insures the best possible first impression of their tea, greatly increases customer satisfaction, and thus increases word-of-mouth advertising – the best form of advertising that money can’t buy. You never have a 2nd chance to make an Outstanding First Impression.

Our recent orders have been from: Tao Tea Leaf, Whispering Pines, Yezi, TeaVivre, What-Cha, Mandala, Zen Tea Life, and Verdant. Kudos to: Tao, Brenden, Boris, Angel Chen, Alistair Rea, Garret Sorensen, Kenneth Son, & David Duckler who have all been extremely helpful.

My cupboard doesn’t include the many greatly appreciated samples generously provided by Steepsters’s favorite tea suppliers and by several very kind Steepster members.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see:

- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter:

- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1:

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, a winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA