drank Nepal Black by DAVIDsTEA

Sample package label:
“BLACK TEA
There are good things brewing in the Highlands of Nepal. Like this hand-made black tea, from a family-owned tea garden named Jun Chiyabari.

Ingredients: Black tea from Nepal.
1.5 tsp. / 98*C 2084*F / 4-5 min.
PAREVE”

Technique:
6-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 20 ppm, heated to 212*F and allowed to cool to 208*F – verified with DAVIDsTEA digital thermometer
1.5 Tevanna teaspoons, without sweeteners, milk or cream.

Introduction: This is my first tasting of a black tea from Nepal. I requested this tea because I like to try different teas to challenge my palate and since it was one of the highest-rated unflavored black DAVIDsTEAs per Steepster. I did not know what to expect. But, due to the 86 point rating, I was expecting an enjoyable tea.

Clear amber hue.

4-min Infusion: This tea had a black tea / honey aroma. The initial taste was rich and smooth with the flavor of honey. However, it may not be quite as full-bodied as an excellent Assam and does not provide an initial full mouth feel as some exceptional unflavored black teas.

Re-steep:
5-min: Truly as good as the first cup – Excellent!

2nd Re-steep – 6-min: Nearly as good & still enjoyable! After three cups, there is a wonderful delicate natural sweetness that lingers long on the tongue. Well done!

Impression: A rich and smooth unflavored black tea with the flavor of honey that will go the distance. No additives needed. DAVIDsTEA and the Jun Chiyabari Tea Garden should be proud! – Very Enjoyable!

Many thanks to DAVIDsTEA and Natalie for providing this very generous size free sample. It was very helpful when tasting a truly different unflavored black tea for the first time, especially if more than a tsp/6 oz. is needed.

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit are also of interest.

Through our local co-op we tried Frontier Natural Products Co-op bulk loose tea – mostly Assam, also Irish Breakfast, & EG.

Kevin at The Whistling Kettle introduced me to Keemun, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and my wife enjoyed their Earl Grey Cream.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre & Zen Tea Life. Kudos to both Angel Chen and Kenneth Son who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA