drank Earl Grey by Lupicia

Sample package label: “5201, Earl Grey”

Per: http://www.lupiciausa.com/product_p/13355201.htm:
“Water Measurement: One 5.0 fl.oz (150ml)-cup
Water Temprature: Boiling water
Brewing Time: 2.5-3min.”

Technique:
5-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 27 ppm, heated to 212*F, 3 min.

1 tea sachet, without sweeteners, milk or cream.

Introduction: Most Earl Grey teas are light- to medium-bodied. While my wife loves the aroma and flavor of a well-balanced EG, she typically does not find them to be strong enough. To compensate, she will increase the amount of tea leaves and/or the brewing time. However, you can only increase those two parameters so much.

Fragrance: This tea has a fresh lemon Earl Grey fragrance combined with the scent of the Keemun base without any hint of artificial additives.

Dry leaf – Dark brown leaves

Liquor – Clear & coppery

Impression: This is a smooth, well-balanced Earl Grey with a fresh mild pleasing lemon aroma combined with a mild classic Keemun aroma. Since I very much enjoy Keemun, I found this EG to also be very enjoyable. Finally, an EG with more body! There was no hint of bitterness or astringency. As the cup cooled, there was a hint of tartness. This Earl Grey resteeps well at 5-6 min.

My wife enjoys Keemun and also enjoyed this tea but didn’t find it to be “The EG” she’s been seeking. To her, it wasn’t special or unique enough. After all the excellent Steepster reviews and recommendations for this EG, I had high hopes this would be “The one”. At this point, it has been 9 Earl Greys & counting! (I’m not including EG cream teas.) Since this tea has a full-bodied Keemun base, I guess she didn’t find the EG aroma and flavor to be sufficient. She is looking for an EG that will make you “sit up and take notice.” A full-bodied EG on Steroids!

Thanks to Lupicia for providing this free sample.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 OZ / 147 ML
Rie

If I might suggest, I’ve found Lupicia’s EG Grand Classic definitely fits the “sit up and take notice” bill, on my EG quests! Good luck on your own continuing EG quests!

looseTman

Thanks for the suggestion! At $82/lb, I imagine it’s very good. But, a bit much for an everyday breakfast tea.

Rie

Yes, definitely not everyday material for both price point and smoky, exotic character – although it does re-steep well for an EG (3 times).

If you two are particularly interested, I can send you a small sample to try, since 50g is the lowest that Lupicia sells, and it’s a very love-hate EG, I think. (‘u’-)

looseTman

Thank you for your offer. That’s very sweet of you! I’ll ask my better half.

Comments

Rie

looseTman

Thank you for your offer. That’s very sweet of you! I’ll ask my better half.

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit EUROFINS are also of interest.

I especially enjoy teas with a natural rich chocolate flavor profile as opposed to natural bittersweet cocoa.

Complete steeping instructions on the bag are greatly appreciated:
tsp. (g) / oz. / temp. / rinse? / min. for both Western & Gongfu brewing.

Incomplete, non-specific, or cutesy instructions such as: “Just add water and enjoy.” significantly reduces the possibility that I will purchase that particular tea.

Having to discover the optimum brewing parameters through “trial & error” is too time-inefficient, wastes valuable tea and impairs the progress and joy of tea exploration.

The best tea suppliers evaluate each crop / batch of tea each year to determine the optimum brewing parameters. This insures the best possible first impression of their tea, greatly increases customer satisfaction, and thus increases word-of-mouth advertising – the best form of advertising that money can’t buy. You never have a 2nd chance to make an Outstanding First Impression.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre, Verdant, Zen Tea Life, & Mandala Tea. Kudos to Angel Chen, David Duckler, Kenneth Son, Garret Sorensen who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA