drank Breakfast Earl Grey by Lupicia

Sample package label: “5202, Breakfast Earl Grey”

Per, http://www.lupiciausa.com/product_p/13355202.htm:
“Earl Grey made with broken leaves brews up a robust taste. Perfect to enjoy with milk.”

“Water Measurement: One 5.0 fl.oz (150ml)-cup
Water Temprature: Boiling water
Brewing Time: 2 – 2.5 min.”

Per Victoria at Lupicia Customer Service:
- The base of their Breakfast EG is a single Ceylon tea, not a blend.
- Their bagged tea is “the exact same as their loose tea.”

Technique:
5-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 27 ppm, heated to 212*F, 2.5 min.

1 tea sachet, without sweeteners, milk or cream.

Fragrance: This tea has a stronger fresh lemon Earl Grey fragrance than their 5201 Earl Grey. There wasn’t any hint of artificial additives.

Dry leaf – Dark brown leaves

Liquor – Clear & dark coppery

Impression: This is a smooth, well-balanced Earl Grey with a fresh mild pleasing lemon aroma. Finally, another EG with more body! There was no hint of bitterness or astringency. As the cup cooled, there was no hint of tartness. This Earl Grey resteeps well at 5-min.

My wife enjoyed this Lupicia EG more than their 5201 EG. She especially liked the stronger Bergamot fragrance. This EG tea has come the closest to her liking. However, she noted that there was a vegetal aroma / flavor not expected in a classic EG. I asked Vitoria what might contribute the vegetal hint to this tea. She wasn’t sure and said “Perhaps it’s because it is a broken tea?”

At this point, it has been 10 Earl Greys & counting! We would welcome any suggestions for a stronger Bergamot, fuller-bodied, invigorating breakfast version of the classic EG.

Thanks to Lupicia for providing this free sample.

yyz

I’ve sometimes gotten that vegetal taste in black teas. I usually find that these teas are teas that do best when brewed at off boiled ie 190-196 instead of at boiled. When I brewed these teas at the lower temperature the vegetal taste usually disappears or is diminished significantly.

looseTman

Thank you. That’s very helpful. I used 212*F per Lupicia’s recommendations.

Nicole

Silky EG from Teajo has an Assam base and a pretty strong bergamot.

looseTman

We found the Teajo EG to be enjoyable with one caveat for classic EG lovers: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/163801#comments

Comments

yyz

looseTman

Thank you. That’s very helpful. I used 212*F per Lupicia’s recommendations.

Nicole

Silky EG from Teajo has an Assam base and a pretty strong bergamot.

looseTman

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit are also of interest.

Through our local co-op we tried Frontier Natural Products Co-op bulk loose tea – mostly Assam, also Irish Breakfast, & EG.

Kevin at The Whistling Kettle introduced me to Keemun, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and my wife enjoyed their Earl Grey Cream.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre & Zen Tea Life. Kudos to both Angel Chen and Kenneth Son who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA