drank Irish Breakfast by Shanti Tea

Per: https://www.shantitea.ca/sthome/product/Irish-Breakfast:
Origin: China / Serving: 2.8 grams per cup / Temp. 100*C / Steeping Time 2-5 Min.

“What a whiskey will not cure, there’s no cure for!” Same goes for this Irish-strength black tea blend.
A very strong and bold black tea blend, with pronounced earthiness and maltiness. Recommended at a long steep, with milk and sugar to bring out the flavors, this is a real winner in the mornings. The smaller leaf grades allow for greater caffeine infusion into the water. A good coffee replacement."

“Directions: 2 min without milk, 5+ min with milk”
“Ingredients: Tea (Camelia Sinensis)”
Canada Organic – Biologique Canada: http://www.organicbiologique.ca/en/

Technique: Tea mug with Finum brew basket. 8-oz water with total dissolved solids (TDS) of 26 ppm, heated to 212*F. 2.8 grams (My Weigh Durascale D2 660) No sweeteners, milk or cream were added.

Fragrance: Fruity
Dry leaf: Small granular-shaped pieces moderately dark brown and reddish-brown leaves
Infused Leaf: Dark Amber

2-min.: A full-bodied tea with a fruity aroma and malty undertones. I can see why only 2 min. infusion w/o milk is recommended. At the end of the sip there is a bit of bitterness that briefly lingers on the tongue. This is a strong tea. You may not wish to drink it on an empty stomach.

2-min Re-steep: Same flavor & character as the first cup w/o the bitterness.

2nd Cup: same as above except: 2.8 g/ 8 oz. / *185*F* / 2 min
This is now a full-bodied tea with a fruity aroma and malty undertones without any obvious bitterness. “Now we’re talking!”

Impression: A full-bodied, invigorating, organic breakfast tea. “Not for the faint of heart.”

Thanks to Safiya Motala and Shanti Teas for kindly providing this generous free sample.

Terri HarpLady

Sounds like this tea is right up my alley!

looseTman

Correction: The original description at the top of this review was for the previous Shanti Tea I reviewed (Ancient Forest Black). The correct Shanti Tea website description has been now been added.

Terri HarpLady

Ancient Forest Black, awesome name!
Sil, add Shanti to our list, LOL :)

Comments

Terri HarpLady

Sounds like this tea is right up my alley!

looseTman

Terri HarpLady

Ancient Forest Black, awesome name!
Sil, add Shanti to our list, LOL :)

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas are also of interest.

Through our local co-op we tried Frontier Natural Products Co-op bulk loose tea – mostly Assam, also Irish Breakfast, & EG.

Kevin at The Whistling Kettle introduced me to Keemun, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and my wife enjoyed their Earl Grey Cream.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre & Zen Tea Life. Kudos to both Angel Chen and Kenneth Son who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA