8/3/14 Update:
Based on the feedback of gmathis, I decided to give this tea one more try with an increased brewing time. I used the maximum recommended brewing time listed on the Tao Tea Leaf package for this specific tea.

Additionally, in Scribbles review she wrote:
“Today, I’m not feeling the love for this tea. It tastes a little stale and off, and it shouldn’t be stale since this is one of my newer tea’s. But I didn’t steep it as long as I normally would, so I’m not writing this one off just yet. Off flavour is probably user error.”

6 oz. / 2 tsp. (4 g) / 212*F / 3 min.
Liquor: Clear dark amber
A full-bodied, fairly robust, somewhat thick, smooth, juicy, malty and earthy black breakfast tea with zero astringency or bitterness. There is a definite juicy aftertaste that persists long on the front of the tongue similar to a Keemun.

The additional minute produces an initially stronger more robust cup. However, as the cup cools, the tea once again becomes less robust and less satisfying . The difference today is that the longer steep produces a more robust initial cup so it’s not quite as mild near the bottom of the cool cup as yesterday. Unlike yesterday, there is now bitterness at the bottom of the cup. which has left a bitter aftertaste. Thus, a steep longer than 3 min. is likely to become more bitter.

Impression: Based on this tea sample, I would not be inclined to purchase this tea.

Flavors: Earth, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Maybe this tea is good for gongfu? I prefer to steep my Chinese tea gongfu

looseTman

After my experence brewing seveal cups, I doubt this sample is able to produce a satisfactory cup.

boychik

Come back to it in a few. And I would gongfu 4g 4oz short steeps like 15/20 /30 sec. After all you have nothing to loose!

looseTman

Have you compared my 2 reviews with the ones from scribbles & gmathis? gmathis was able to brew an enjoyable western cup.

Comments

boychik

Maybe this tea is good for gongfu? I prefer to steep my Chinese tea gongfu

looseTman

Currently, my focus is on un-flavored orthodox black & pu-erh teas. Cost-effective organic teas or teas that meet the EU Food Safety Commission Pesticide Maximum Residue Limit EUROFINS are also of interest.

I especially enjoy teas with a natural rich chocolate flavor profile as opposed to natural bittersweet cocoa.

Complete steeping instructions on the bag are greatly appreciated:
tsp. (g) / oz. / temp. / rinse? / min. for both Western & Gongfu brewing.

Incomplete, non-specific, or cutesy instructions such as: “Just add water and enjoy.” significantly reduces the possibility that I will purchase that particular tea.

Having to discover the optimum brewing parameters through “trial & error” is too time-inefficient, wastes valuable tea and impairs the progress and joy of tea exploration.

The best tea suppliers evaluate each crop / batch of tea each year to determine the optimum brewing parameters. This insures the best possible first impression of their tea, greatly increases customer satisfaction, and thus increases word-of-mouth advertising – the best form of advertising that money can’t buy. You never have a 2nd chance to make an Outstanding First Impression.

Our most recent orders were from TeaVivre, Verdant, Zen Tea Life, & Mandala Tea. Kudos to Angel Chen, David Duckler, Kenneth Son, Garret Sorensen who have been extremely helpful.

High quality water is essential for excellent tasting tea.
Our 450’ well provides hard water. For details see: http://steepster.com/looseTman/posts/176233#comments.

Solutions:
#1. Rainsoft water softener with
Q2 computerized control valve

#2. Abundant Flow Water
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System with re-mineralization filter
Model: Zeta RO: https://www.afwfilters.com/drinking-ro-systems/6-stage-alkaline-zoi-zeta-reverse-osmosis-system-16.html
Includes:
- Dow Filmtec TFC R.O. membrane
- Omnipure Inline Post filter
- Puregen Aptera Alkaline Filter: http://www.puregen.com/products_detail.php?id=301&lang=en

Options:
- Aquatec ERP-500 & ASV 2000
- 3/8" Output
- HM Digital DM-1: http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/dm1.html

My profile picture is a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, an annual winter visitor to our woodpecker feeder.

Mid-Atlantic, USA