drank Paris by Harney & Sons

Experimenting w/cold steeping- brewing the tea overnite in the fridge. Brewing Paris via this cold method resulted in a weak tea (so far peppermint /black tea has been the best cold brewed) ….

JacquelineM

Yeah – I use the “puts hair on your chest” black teas for cold brewing, and strangely enough, the one white tea I cold brewed was phenomenal. I think the black teas that are perfect hot come out weak cold brewed – totally agree w you.

SoccerMom

Lori and JacquelineM- Just curious and I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but why do ya’ll cold brew? I mean I know that several steepsters write about cold brewing but I really don’t know why you wouldn’t just brew ( hot water) and steep it and then ice it? Is there something great I’m missing here?? Inquiring minds want to know!

JacquelineM

SoccerMom – I find that it takes away any bitterness and astringency, and I usually use my less expensive or not totally crazy about hot teas for iced tea because they take so much leaf! I also like how easy it is, and how pretty and clear the iced teas come out.

If you have a tea you find a little bitter, try the cold brew and see what you think!

SoccerMom

Oh Okay…. I hate bitter AND astringent. I will try it I have two iced teas=experiments in the fridge right now but will try it tomorrow with the last of my Palm Court sample (a little to astringent for me) Thanks for the info!

Lori

Good point JacuelineM about the astringency AND use of less expensive teas when cold brewing ….

Meghann M

I tend to cold brew with teas I didn’t enjoy the hot brew of to see if I enjoy it cold better. Some have turned out that way (Lupicia’s Sakurambo), others haven’t. But it DOES cut down in the astringency too which is nice.

Sorry to reply to a 2 day old tasting note, but just getting to reading these!

Lori

No problem- glad to know that others have also been experimenting w/cold brewing…

Comments

JacquelineM

Meghann M

Sorry to reply to a 2 day old tasting note, but just getting to reading these!

Lori

Just a few months ago the only tea I drank was hot lipton tea at work, an occasional mint tea, and sweet iced tea.. Then my daughter got me some loose leaf teas for Christmas and then, my tea addiction began…..

And what better way to get lots of dessert flavors w/o the calories?

I prefer my tea with a tinge of sugar. Is that cheating? But to me , the combination of sugar and tea is like salt and cooking- both bring out the natural flavors.

My tea drinking has evolved into a set routine: a breakfast blend in the AM, some flavored blacks during the day, late afternoon or evening flavored green/white, herbal (usually spicy, chai inspired) at night.

Not into unflavored greens/whites yet. Just started appreciating unflavored blacks and am thinking that smoky teas may become my favorite…
When I am not drinking tea, I am working as an engineer, reading, watching some of the better TV shows (like Damages and Breaking Bad), practicing my yoga, cooking, gardening, and spoiling my two miniature poodles (Coco and Timmy)…

Baton Rouge, LA