I bought this tea online through Google Offers. They were running a special for 60g each of flavored and regular matcha for $25. Always being a sucker for deals, I jumped on it and ended up with 120g of matcha. I was familiar with Japanese green teas already but this was my first foray into matcha and I really had no idea how to select quality matcha. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

The first thing I noticed was that the tea was yellowish not bright green like fresh matcha powder. When brewed the flavor of the tea was astringent and slightly fishy. It didn’t have the grassy, sweet flavor of a good Japanese green tea. Adjusting water temperature didn’t do much to improve flavor although it was somewhat tolerable at 160 F. I managed to salvage the tea by using it for matcha lattes along with a little bit of honey.

A pretty lousy tea all around. Not recommended.

160 °F / 71 °C

Ugh, bummer :(

Ugh, bummer :(

Fell into tea years ago for the health benefits, and for a while my palette was limited to just Japanese greens and a few flavored teas. My tea epiphany came a couple of years ago when I discovered Taiwanese oolongs. That was the gateway drug leading to my tea and teaware collecting addiction.

I mostly drink straight teas however there are a handful of flavored teas that I can’t go without. I’m on an oolong kick these days but will always have a soft spot for green tea. Sencha/gyokuro and green oolongs are cupboard staples. Also beginning to explore white tea, flowering teas, and herbals. Still have not acquired a taste for blacks and pu’erhs. I enjoy blending my own tea flavors and whipping up tea-based concoctions (chais, boba milk tea, traditional teas, etc).

Other non-tea interests include: cooking and being a foodie, geekery, reading, traveling when I can, alternative medicine, nature, and of course putzing around on the interwebs.