drank Cranberry Pear by DAVIDsTEA

Backstory to this tea: I had been waiting for a while for it to come back in stock online after first finding it on their website… then I made the mistake of reading all of your reviews (which made me want it even more). I was so excited to finally get my hands on some!

Dry: Holy strong scent! Whoa.. I mean maybe too strong. It lingered in the back of my throat/nose for a good minute after smelling it was so overpowering. I guess that teaches me to huff unknown teas. But really… I wonder what the liquor will be like if this is how strong the leaves smell?! Pretty chunks of pear and cranberry. How delightful. Oh yes.. and the smell.. (from afar this time).. cranberry and pear but more luscious and deep-bodied. Very nice.
Liquor: a nice medium amber color. Smell is much more subdued (which is nice). Hot: rather bland. What happened to the punch in the face scent I just got knocked out with earlier? Where the heck did all my flavour go to?.. Oh. There it is. Very mild and mellow. The aftertaste is creamy cranberry (raspberry) with a hind note of juicy pear. I can almost feel the crunch of stone cells as if I were eating a pear. Wow. I guess I was a little impatient there. Forgive me tea. As the tea cools it becomes thicker and more full mouthed. Caramel pear.. with a hint of bubblegum or something. Surprising and delicious.

This tea is fantastic. I was impatient for flavours off the get go (how could you not be with such a strongly scented tea?) I expected a very in-your-face-flavoured tea, but instead, I found an interesting and complex tea which takes time to get to know. The first few mouthfuls, for me anyway, were a warm up to something exquisite (I was just too impatient to realize it). Oh tea.. you amaze me!

Kittenna

Yeah, this one is potent dry, hey? I love it though….. from a distance.

I find that this one is tastiest when I steep the heck out of it, and all the delicious fruit flavours come out. The black tea, at least for me, doesn’t seem to get astringent. It can get quite sweet and delicious and fruity. And that’s how I like it :D

Lynne-tea

It is absolutely delicious. I have no idea how long I steeped it for but it was perfect! It just took a while to recognize individual flavours as they all jumbled in my mouth at once – causing me to think there was only one flavour. Mistake obviously. I just needed to be patient as my taste buds figured out what the delicious flavours were! =) I may have gotten the astringency from too much steeping.. though.. it wasn’t very prominent and I didn’t mind it.

katgolik

I so want to try this!

Scott B

I made a cranberry-pear pie several years ago-was delicious.This is going on my shopping list.

Lynne-tea

Yes you must! It is delicious… just do not sniff the bag as readily as I did.. waft from afar =)

Scott B

Maybe I will brew the tea while wearing a hazmat suit.

Lynne-tea

hahah =) possibly a little extreme. Though to each their own.

Kittenna

The scent is definitely muted while brewing :D The dry tea is just quite a bit more potent than you might expect. Kind of like DT’s Birthday Cake tea (which I love to sniff repeatedly but from a distance, I’ll admit).

Comments

Kittenna

Yeah, this one is potent dry, hey? I love it though….. from a distance.

katgolik

I so want to try this!

Scott B

Maybe I will brew the tea while wearing a hazmat suit.

Lynne-tea

hahah =) possibly a little extreme. Though to each their own.

Tea rating system:

0-50: Do people actually enjoy this?
50-60: Slight improvement, not recommendable.
60-70: Alright, though easily forgettable.
70-80: Good flavour, though not a ‘go to’ tea.
80-90: Great tea – complex and memorable.
90-100: Extremely delicious and complex teas that leave me craving more.

Vancouver Island