drank Russian Caravan by Tea Desire

I went for it. The very first time I smelled this tea I was amazed that someone would drink such a smokey intensely flavoured tea (other than sweet flavours, and I do recall even asking the sales woman if they actually do sell it very often). Very malty and comforting to me now, but at the time I didn’t think I would like it (back when I was an always-add-things-to-my-tea type person.. not that that is a bad thing. I just find it hides flavours sometimes.)
Anyways.. so I just finished up 4/5 final exams (YAY! ONE MORE!) and thought I should buy some tea to reward myself (even though my Verdant tea order finally arrived today so I don’t have to stalk the mail man – Yay #2!). I walked away with a lot of tea today and a thermometer.
Dry: Little twisted black leaves. Nothing fancy. Smell is addictive. Really addictive (to be honest I have smelled it over 15 times since I got it two hours ago).
Liquor: Very dark.. I steeped it for about two minutes and thought that that was good based on color. The steep was a touch weak, so I popped the leaves back in and managed to forget about it for a while (therefore, no idea on steeping times). I tried it.. Very good.. though slightly bitter (my fault!.. brewing it like a true Russian zavarka almost!) I fixed this by adding hot water. There is no bitterness to this tea anymore. It is very smokey, though not overly so. Definitely malty and rich…Aftertaste reminds me of applewood smoked gouda for some reason and I love it.

I can definitely see myself making this on an extremely regular basis (especially considering it was only $5 for 50g). I’m sold. To be honest, this will probably replace coffee in the AM for me on most days.

Boiling
Azzrian

Mention of applewood again this time with CHEESE SIGH I want applewood smoked gouda now and this tea on the side! LOL Congrats almost done with exams!! :)

Lynne-tea

Haha Sorry! I know it’s such a good cheese (I have been on a cheese kick lately – which is odd as I don’t usually like high fat foods..) Either way – I finished my cup about 10 minutes or so ago and the taste lingers on! I knew I had been secretly craving it since the first time I smelled it. =)
And thank you very much! Soon I will be able to crawl out of my study den and back into society squints eyes

Azzrian

LOL I know the feeling -come back INTO THE LIGHT my friend! :)
Good Gawd though I would send hubby to get cheese if we were not all so ick feeling already. Its funny how impressionable I am in my weakened state! I think I have some pepper jack in the fridge SIGH its just not the same as a smoked gouda. LOL

Lynne-tea

Haha thanks again! =) It’s always nice to hear others who have made it out alive. Well when you feel good enough to venture out tea shopping, your smoked gouda cheese cravings may be solved with some Russian Caravan! (or ignited, I am not sure..? haha)

Azzrian

LOL exactly – my cravings could get WORSE! Which reminds me – there is a LOVELY cheese store about an hour from where I live, SAMPLES GALORE! I want to hit that place up next payday if I have any "extra’ (haha extra rofl) funds!

Kittenna

Interesting. Does Tea Desire sell small samples a la DavidsTea? Like 10g? There’s one in Saskatoon that I might hit up over the summer if so. But if they only sell in 50g increments, not for me.

Lynne-tea

They only sell in 50g increments =( I was a little bummed about that (for my other tea purchases). I think you can get togo cups.. maybe try it that way? I couldn’t turn it down at the price with that smell. I was much too intrigued =)

Comments

Azzrian

Azzrian

LOL I know the feeling -come back INTO THE LIGHT my friend! :)

Kittenna

Tea rating system:

0-50: Do people actually enjoy this?
50-60: Slight improvement, not recommendable.
60-70: Alright, though easily forgettable.
70-80: Good flavour, though not a ‘go to’ tea.
80-90: Great tea – complex and memorable.
90-100: Extremely delicious and complex teas that leave me craving more.

Vancouver Island