drank Milky Oolong by Tea Desire

Not a true milk oolong- but a milky flavoured oolong none the less. After becoming a lover of oolong (and being nearly out of Davids Tea milk oolong), I decided to give this tea a go as I can purchase it locally.

Dry: Leaves are more broken up and more stems then Davids Tea (which is to be expected if you pay $5/50g in my opinion). Smells like condensed milk. I like that. Wet leaves unfurled rather quickly (almost all open after one steep).. though again, to be expected.
Liquor: Deeply rich carmel colour. It smells heavenly actually. Sunshine (and yellow) comes to mind for some reason when I smell this which makes me happy. Caramelly sweet smell with a touch of vanilla and camomile (random). The taste is pleasing – I can definitely taste the oolong and there is a buttery sensation/flavour as an intermediate note. No real substantial aftertaste, except a mild candy note.. like a gummy real fruit candy, except not sweet. It’s subtle but nice.
Note: I am half delirious right now due to lack of sleep and I am pretty sure I put in 1 tbsp for my whole 6oz cup. I’m not sure why I did that. Or why I let it steep longer then I usually would. At least with my trusty thermometer I now know exactly what temperature water was used (93C). Due to these factors – I will hold off on rating until I figure out my life and stop mucking up my tea! (Thank goodness I didn’t try playing with my Verdant tea yet.. I definitely need more sleep for that session!)

Fjellrev

I’ve been going between trying this or DT’s. Which one do you prefer?

Lynne-tea

Oh my gosh DT’s all the way. I get so caught up in just sniffing my DT tin and love the buttery taste. Such a comfort. Though the price of this one is much better. To be honest… I go between DT’s and Teavivre as I still get a buttery taste/smoothness with the TV that I adore. If you haven’t tried that one yet I highly recommend it!

Fjellrev

Thanks! I almost bought this one before so I think I’ll go for DT’s instead. :)

Lynne-tea

No problem at all! I don’t regret buying this as it was so inexpensive and therefore I don’t feel bad if I put some in a to-go tea bag.. which is something I wouldn’t do with the DT’s due to the cost. I hope you love DT’s as much as mine. It is surely one of my top 5 teas of all time (so far… I have so many more teas to taste in my lifetime yet!)

Lynne-tea

haha I meant to say “I hope you love DT’s as much as I do.” Goes to show you how a cold turns my brain into cotton-balls >.<

Fjellrev

Haha no it’s ok, I understood. Can’t believe how much DT’s is but I’m sure it’s worth it. It’s so sad. I made a trip to Edmonton this weekend, got to WEM, did some shopping (including a first visit to the new Teavana store) but I ran out of money by the time I made it to the other end of the mall where DT is. Kind of wish I went to DT first since the Teavana teas don’t taste as good as they smell! Oh well. Next time.

Lynne-tea

Hahah aww phooey! Yes next time for sure. I have been to Teavana and I wasn’t that impressed. Thankfully.. I live only by a Tea Desire (which I can easily withstand buying teas from as it is: A) A 2 hr bike ride away overall, and B) Not very good quality.. though for cheap prices (though I love their russian caravan to bits)). Therefore I am restricted to ordering online and I was familiar with DT so they became top priority when I was initially getting into it. If you are ever around a DT.. I suggest grabbing a 10-15g sample to try.. that way you can test it out before taking the plunge =) trust me – it’s worth it haha

Fjellrev

Ah, I never thought of getting samples. I am always afraid to ask haha. But I don’t know, I actually really like Tea Desire? It’s hit or miss. Some are meh, others are amazing. And you’re right, you can’t complain about the price.

Yeah, the Teavana teas I chose are ok but definitely disappointing. Too bad they bought out Teaopia. Have been meaning to try a bunch of their stuff.

Lynne-tea

Maybe it is just my experience at the tea desire store here. Trying their oolongs.. I found they used the same lower grade oolong base for all of their oolong mixes.. Then their prices jump way up for ‘better’ quality oolongs. I would much prefer to have the option of samples first before going with 50g ( I now have an excess of two oolongs I don’t really enjoy that I am trying to find ways to use.. Thankfully I liked the milky oolong!)
The staff here are also quite pushy and are not accommodating (as in a thermometer I bought from them had broke because it is cheap and they made it seem as though it was a huge thing to exchange it for another one and kept hinting i dropped it, causing the liquid to separate in the glass stem.. If i had dropped it, the glass would have broke. And I wasn’t even asking for a refund. The new thermometer I got also ended up breaking within three days and now they want to give me store credit. I just want my money back as I don’t want their tea or their cheap thermometers. Humph. Another reason I love DT – any problems no matter how small, they fix with an amazing attitude and seem genuine about it. Tea desire is like pulling teeth in those situations.)

Comments

Fjellrev

I’ve been going between trying this or DT’s. Which one do you prefer?

Fjellrev

Thanks! I almost bought this one before so I think I’ll go for DT’s instead. :)

Tea rating system:

0-50: Do people actually enjoy this?
50-60: Slight improvement, not recommendable.
60-70: Alright, though easily forgettable.
70-80: Good flavour, though not a ‘go to’ tea.
80-90: Great tea – complex and memorable.
90-100: Extremely delicious and complex teas that leave me craving more.

Vancouver Island