I had to get this tea after discovering I have a great soft spot for smokey tea.
Dry: Much more fragmented leaves than the Nepal black by DT. Wonderful pine notes with a deep sweet smoke. Yum.
Liquor (1.5min): A deep reddish brown. Its is molasses sweet – like homemade barbecue sauce on something recently gilled. Definite pine notes at the first taste which are very strong and smokey (a little too much so). This intensity then mellows into a sweet barbecue flavour for me. Delicious!
Overall this tea is good. I wish it had a more well rounded black tea, instead of just a high intensity flavour off the get go. I want to enjoy my cup – not have my tongue assaulted by a burning pine branch. It’s drinkable – only because I didn’t steep it as long as DT said. No way hosay would I drink this steeped at 4-6 min =\ yikes.

Boiling
Kittenna

Might be better used as an additive for other teas? I haven’t tried it yet but am working up the courage to :P

Indigobloom

this is definitely not my fave lapsang!

Lynne-tea

Haha It’s not horrid. It’s just way too strong off the get go. It needed to subtly lead into smoke with a sweetness. Instead a few sips in and it’s already too much to handle for me.

Comments

Kittenna

Indigobloom

this is definitely not my fave lapsang!

Lynne-tea

Tea rating system:

0-50: Do people actually enjoy this?
50-60: Slight improvement, not recommendable.
60-70: Alright, though easily forgettable.
70-80: Good flavour, though not a ‘go to’ tea.
80-90: Great tea – complex and memorable.
90-100: Extremely delicious and complex teas that leave me craving more.

Vancouver Island