This is a showdown between the superior grade LS and this grade 2 from Life in Teacup. Let’s get started ‘cause my delicious smelling tea is getting colder by the word.
Dry: Smells of light sweet smokey fire. Nicely twisted dark chocolate leaves.
Liquor (1.5min): Smells and tastes like a camp fire. But sweet bacon and a little malty at the same time. Yum..
ok I just noticed the steep times of the other tasters and mine is wayyy lower. Next round I am trying a 4 minute steep. I’m nervous. Ohhh but it will be good. Here’s the thing – I touched the wet leaves and now my hands smell like salty bacon. Now I want salty smokey sweet bacon. I don’t ever crave meat products so this is weird.
5min: I got side-tracked looking at Life in Teacup Dan Cong. Looks like I will have to order some more tea soon. sips Whoa! New tea almost. Full bodied and with a gentle sparkle feeling around my tongue. Slight drying in the throat, but nothing too bothersome. When I try and think about the sweetness (which is mid-taste for me), visions of black currants pop up in my brain for some reason. Mmmm it’s like black currant syrup on non-crispy maple smoked bacon. I’m in love.
Thank you again Gingko… Life in Teacup has wonderful customer service and I really appreciate that!

Boiling
ScottTeaMan

For the LS, I think shorter steeps would work for me.

If you’ve never tried a Dan Cong, I recommend more leaf than called for, water temp below boiling (175-185 to start), and shorter steeps (45,35-45), and a glass teapot with an infuser. Any teapot will do, as long as it’s large enough, and has a large enough infuser too. Dan Congs are oolongs with long, twisted leaves that need room to expand. Keep steep times shorter for the first 3 infusions, then gradually increase steep time & temp. for future steeps. Dan congs can easily become bitter if oversteeped.

Hope this helps. :)) It has always worked well for me.

Lynne-tea

Sorry for my late reply! I missed this when Steepster was so slow.

I did enjoy my initial steep with 1.5 min, though I found when I had the 5min steep.. it was so rich and full bodied! I think I tend to do shorter steeping times for most teas, but I think a longer steep time is more delicious for this LS in my opinion =) It’s amazing how different peoples tea methods are.

Thank you very much for your recommendation for the Dan Cong steeping times and methods. It seems that tea is a little high maintenance, though I am really wanting to master them and see what types of flavour I can get. So intriguing.

ScottTeaMan

Yes…….short steeps are important for Dan Congs. You can always increase times if you want to. :))

Comments

ScottTeaMan

For the LS, I think shorter steeps would work for me.

Hope this helps. :)) It has always worked well for me.

Lynne-tea

Sorry for my late reply! I missed this when Steepster was so slow.

Tea rating system:

0-50: Do people actually enjoy this?
50-60: Slight improvement, not recommendable.
60-70: Alright, though easily forgettable.
70-80: Good flavour, though not a ‘go to’ tea.
80-90: Great tea – complex and memorable.
90-100: Extremely delicious and complex teas that leave me craving more.

Vancouver Island