So I asked the nice sales person to show me the chai’s they had.. and he started to rave about this one. I had already gone in there dead set on picking up the marsala chai (is that the name of it?) from them, but then got sidetracked into this tea instead (as he said.. I can mix it with whatever I want).

When I was digging some of the tisane out to boil for a while, I realized there really wasn’t very much to this tea at all. at all. As in I just wasted my money on cinnamon bits pretty much. I ended up adding extra tricolored pepper corns, ginger, star anise, and cardamom because the tisane was so boring looking.

It didn’t help. I boiled that tea for 40 minutes and it was sooooo delicate. So delicate. Which to me is the exact opposite of what a chai should be. By the time I added my almond milk (unflavoured and unsweeted) and a little sugar (only way I like chai hehe).. I could barely taste the flavours of the chai. I proceeded to try to boil the water off even more so it would be even more concentrated…still didn’t work.

Safe to say this is not the chai for me and I am still dreaming of the Republic of Tea’s chai. sigh

Boiling 8 min or more
Alphakitty

I hate wussy chai. I can handle lighter ones that are more floral/fruity as long as there’s still that bite of spice, but a weak chai is such a disappointment.

Lynne-tea

It really is. I wanted to be swooped away with spices.. not watery ‘chai’. Such a silly for getting caught up in his suggestion for this tea.

Fjellrev

That sucks. This one always smelled boring to me. Glad I never bothered getting it.

Lynne-tea

I know! It smelled boring to me as well, but he was admit that I would be swept away. So not the case. I am going to promise myself not to get caught up in the words of a salesperson, but rather my own preference (which may or may not be influenced by Steepster haha!)

Kittenna

I have the Masala Chai (and Apricot Chai) from Tea Desire. I find the masala chai ok, but it doesn’t hold up to milk terribly well. The apricot chai is completely different (I wouldn’t add milk to it) and I prefer it :)

Lynne-tea

Ah perfect! Thanks for your input Krystaleyn. I love milk in my chais so I am happy to learn of that. And I was wondering about the apricot chai, but decided to try and stick with a straight normal chai first… I will have to check it out =)

Kittenna

Lynne-tea – if you’d like and I can fit them in, I can pop both or either into my swap pkg to you. Just tack it into a PM in our thread so I don’t forget. I don’t know if Tea Desire sells samples like David’s.

Comments

Alphakitty

Fjellrev

Tea rating system:

0-50: Do people actually enjoy this?
50-60: Slight improvement, not recommendable.
60-70: Alright, though easily forgettable.
70-80: Good flavour, though not a ‘go to’ tea.
80-90: Great tea – complex and memorable.
90-100: Extremely delicious and complex teas that leave me craving more.

Vancouver Island