I was really surprised and unprepared to dislike this tea so much. I have been craving a really good vanilla tea and when the ingredients say “Select black teas, vanilla beans, and natural flavors of rum, nutcreme and vanilla” I feel I am in for a real treat. It says it also has both Madagascar and Tahitian vanilla beans. I just couldn’t wait for the tea to come in this batch of teas to sample for the tea book I’m writing.

Well, the nose knows first. As when sampling fine wines you want to take in a good long sniff and the complex notes fill your nose, tickling it and making you anxious to taste it. As soon as I opened the pouch I knew that something was wrong. It smelled like plain black tea. Now I was uneasy but I brewed a pot and with the first sip my heart sank. I did not taste ANY vanilla at all much less nutcreme or rum. There was no fragrant bouquet. If I’d wanted plain black tea I’d have brewed it.

I kept the tea pouch next to my computer, opening it and sniffing deeply several times trying to give it another chance and if I’d picked up any scent other than the black tea I’d have given it another try, but no, nothing.

I would not recommend this tea, sadly. I have had very good experience with Stash teas and this one was just such a disappointment I will order with a wary eye from now on.

Maitri is a writer, fiber and visual artist, 30 year teacher of the journal process, and small press publisher, as well as a Reiki Master, Shamballa Master Healer, spiritual teacher, ordained Interfaith Minister, and “Deep Listening Soul Guide.” In her Dragonfly Cottage Studio she works amidst 4 pugs, 5 parrots, and looks out onto the woods and wild birds at feeders everywhere as she works on her books and designs eBooks and eCourses which will be available soon.

Coastal North Carolina