One of my Portland tea purchases, this is the first one I’ve tried now that I’m home.

Townshend’s Tea Company describes this tea as having a smokey, earthy taste. When a tea is described as smokey, I think of Lapsang Souchong. This in no way resembled a Lapsong Souchong. I tasted nothing smokey about it…

And that’s probably a good thing. As someone who doesn’t seek out smokey flavored teas, I find this (non-smokey) tea very drinkable. It’s hard to describe: it tastes like other teas I’ve had in nice Chinese restaurants. It’s subtle. It goes really well with food. It’s delicious!

I am a librarian who loves Broken Social Scene (and a good cup of tea). I tend to prefer non-fruity black teas like Assam with milk and sugar and Japanese green teas like matcha, genmaicha, sencha, or hojicha without milk or sweetener. I also enjoy a good bubble tea. Tea service at a tea room is one of my favorite indulgences.

Los Angeles, CA