This has been my morning staple for about three years. The first time I had Yunnan tea it was a Yunnan Gold from Tea Source, I think. My friend thought it smelled like a horse. I was a little more optimistic. I have very faint memories of that tea but I remember it having a bold, deep, earthy flavor.

My next venture into Yunnan territory was another Yunnan Gold from Adagio and, after that, I was hooked. I went to what was, at that time, my local tea shop in Minnesota and picked up a bag of this Yunnan. I’ve been drinking it ever since. It’s the best coffee substitute I’ve come across so far. Strong, deep flavor. Nothing fancy like a Yunnan Gold. Definitely not as complex or rewarding but, for early mornings, it’s perfect. I go through way to much of this stuff to make upgrading to a Gold feasible, anyway.

Stands up wonderfully to cream and sugar.

TeaEqualsBliss

a Horse!? Oh my! :)

Micah

I know!! Although comparing drinks to farm animals is something I also do on occasion. I remember a yerba mate latte that, upon first sip/smell, made me think “goat.” However, with about a tablespoon of honey, it was perfectly drinkable.

Angrboda

I can recognise the horse thing. I’ve had a few teas too where I thought ‘cow stable’ when smelling the leaves. A spicy sweet sort of cozy smell.

Comments

TeaEqualsBliss

a Horse!? Oh my! :)

Micah

Angrboda

Loose leaf since high school. I drink mostly greens and oolongs but will try and probably enjoy anything. University student. 3rd year. University of Montana. Studying: English Teaching. ~ Music: Bat For Lashes, Broken Social Scene, Camera Obscura, Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton, Fleet Foxes, The Knife, Mirah, St. Vincent, Vivian Girls, Yeah Yeah Yeahs. ~ Interests: food, tea, coffee, literature, music ~ Books: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura. Thomas Hardy

Missoula, MT