Tastes like freedom.

Happy 4th everyone!

My sister grabbed this out of the sample bin the last time I was at Virtuous, and I assiduously waited until today to try it. I poured the whole sample into my ingenuiTEA, steeped 3 minutes at 212.

It’s a beautiful peachy-red color. The Yunnan in the blend really comes out; it’s not as much Assam or Ceylon as one might ordinarily find in a breakfast blend. It was incredibly strong, verging on bitter, with a lot of astringency, so I added a liberal amount of milk and a bit of sugar. I’m a wimp when it comes to strong blacks!

It’s good. It’s a well-rounded black blend, and the Yunnan lends a sort of peppery flavor that one doesn’t ordinarily find. It’s a bit malty, but not overwhelmingly so.

All in all, it’s good. I don’t really love the breakfast genre of teas, but I enjoy this one. I might consider purchasing a few ounces of this to take back to school for those days when I do want something a bit stronger.

(Also, is it bad that I’m drinking American-themed tea in a British tea mug? shhhh, don’t tell.)