So I am finally trying my new Yixing with this tea! I seasoned it with this tea on Thursday, and today was my day to play with it :) I’m thinking I will actually brew this and the Shui Xian Wuyi in it to see how the flavors build over time.

Anyways, here is my first Yixing attempt. I used the remainder of my sample pack of this tea (another 1 oz on the way!) so it was about 3 grams or so I would guess, I’ve been skimping a bit as I tried it a few weeks back and then I wanted to save it for my teapot! So it might be a bit underleafed. I did two rinses and poured the tea over the cups and the pot as well. It smelled absolutely amazing rinsing it mmmmm sweet honey and fruitness and wood!!

I then poured water in and after pouring steeped for around 4-5 seconds. The first steeping I gave to my boyfriend haha, so I just went over and snagged a sip. THIS IS WONDERFUL!! The flavor is just as lovely as last time, but even more RICH and FULL it seems! Sweet aftertaste with a lovely roasty oolong flavor, juicy and full of life! The second cup (mine) I did for the same amount of time, and it is a bit muted in comparison, but still delicious, almost a more rounded taste. I will continue to get as many steeps out of this as I can today, and I’ll try increasing by a few seconds as I go along! Time to continue my adventure! I’m loving this!

ETA: Steeping 3 becomes citrus, grapefruit and toastiness all around. The sweetness becomes a bit of a fire at the end, but it’s mostly juicy and exciting! The 4th one, the sweetness has returned a bit! Ah I love when this happens with tea, different flavors all over the place but they all go together so well. Upping rating on this tea due to pure and utter enjoyment :D

205 °F / 96 °C
TheTeaFairy

Tea enthusiasm at its best :-)

Haha yeah I went a little bit crazy :) couldn’t help it haha

TheTeaFairy

As you should be! I remember when I got my first gaiwan tasting, I was just like you… it’s as if you never tasted tea before, you get something different from one steep to the other, it’s quite magic, isn’t it? Not that Western brew can’t render a good cuppa, but small vessels give you a completely different experience ( when time is not an issue that is…)

MissLena

I completely agree :D I was actually a bit skeptical that I would taste so many flavors at first..but they definitely were all there! Haha, now I want a gaiwan for my green and white teas! I wish I had more Yixing teapots as well, so I could brew all my teas like that! It will definitely have to be saved for a treat when I have time though, as it definitely takes a while to experience it fully.

Comments

TheTeaFairy

Tea enthusiasm at its best :-)

Haha yeah I went a little bit crazy :) couldn’t help it haha

MissLena

Hello all, I am a happily employed electrical engineer (read:NERD :D), who is a bit obsessed with tea! I discovered loose tea in 2011, DAVIDsTEA in 2012 and it took off from there. I really started drinking/enjoying tea because it was excellent to take to class in the morning and because I can’t handle coffee! (unless it’s a really good cappuccino or latte, or decent decaf haha)

MissLena’s rating system
(as of 04/19/13)

90-94: Awesome teas, will probably purchase again a few times
80-89: Very good tea, may restock at some point
70-79: happy to have tried and will gladly finish, but not restock
60-69: not horrible, but not the best, will finish if I have some though
50-59: not a favorite, probably will have a tough time finishing the bag
-50: yuck. I don’t want to have it ever again.

Canada