Gah so I went to go pick out a tea this afternoon and spilled a bit of my brand new Honeydew Mate all over the floor! Was not impressed..the boyfriend thought it was something serious that I had forgotten, like handing in a major assignment, but no, I just spilled my tea leaves. Sigh haha, steepsters understand this.

Anyways, it’s too late in the day to try my new mate or guayusa, so I decided to brew up a cup of this! Dry, it smells soo tasty, like fresh strawberries and blueberries and mmm just berries. I steeped for 5 minutes with boiling water. Oh, and I should mention, I have only had one other pu’erh from Davidstea, and that was in a blend, the Skinny, which has grown on me and I actually really enjoy :)

The steeped smell is also very strawberry, and I can get a twinge of the hibiscus making a tart scent, which is ok, it adds to the berry smell. It reminds me both dry and steeped of a wildberry juicebox that I really like haha, I drank it quite a lot when I was in grade school.

So this has a very nice berry taste, mostly strawberry, with a tart aftertaste that is not unpleasant, it actually adds to the fresh berry flavor. Hmm, I know there is pu’erh in here, but my untrained palate doesn’t really know what it tastes like haha. This blend is good at least! It actually slightly reminds me of a wildberry teabag I had a while ago, can’t remember who made it, maybe celestial seasonings? But this one has more flavor and less tartness, which is nice. As this cools, I get a hint of earthiness, which I am assuming is the pu’erh poking out. It adds quite nicely to the flavor in my opinion, the earthiness is a bit like a fresh garden strawberry, and it nicely tones down the brightness of the blend, which could easily get overwhelming.

Overall, this is pretty smooth and tasty. I’m not sure if I will pick more up once my sample’s gone, we’ll have to see how much I crave it. But I am pleased with this, and very happy I picked some up to try. My foray into pu’erh continues with success!

ETA- My untrained palate is getting better! I can definitely pick out the pu’erh a bit more as the tea cools. It it mostly present in the aftertaste. I like it so far :)

ETA again – this resteeps not too bad, it’s a bit more muted and a bit more pu’erh tasting maybe, but I am actually quite enjoying this. Maybe it will have to be a reorder, it’s definitely a good flavored pu’erh!

Hello all, I am an electrical engineer (read:NERD :D), who is a bit obsessed with tea! I discovered loose tea in 2011, DAVIDsTEA in 2012 and it took off from there. I really started drinking/enjoying tea because it was excellent to take to class in the morning and because I can’t handle coffee! (unless it’s a really good cappuccino or latte, or decent decaf haha)

MissLena’s rating system
(as of 04/19/13)

90-94: Awesome teas, will probably purchase again a few times
80-89: Very good tea, may restock at some point
70-79: happy to have tried and will gladly finish, but not restock
60-69: not horrible, but not the best, will finish if I have some though
50-59: not a favorite, probably will have a tough time finishing the bag
-50: yuck. I don’t want to have it ever again.

Canada