Yess, the matcha I had earlier did the trick – my stomach is not hating on me for eating too much pasta and now I am going to get started on a Verdant black! I’ve been craving some malty goodness, probably because I’ve been having lots of flavored teas lately, I just need some simplicity.

This one is a sipdown – I had just enough left in my pack to try this in my gongfu pot. Now, there was no way I could manage a 1 sec rinse with a gongfu teapot, it takes too long to pour it out, so I had to do a mini rinse, not the full pot, just enough to cover the leaves, and pour out as fast as I could lol. It was about 6 seconds or so. Lol, I need to invest in a gaiwan at some point!

So I probably had about 4-5 g of tea in the packet, so I tried to steep as quick as I could as well. Ended up being around 8-10 seconds. The resulting liquor is a lovely deep gold, a hint of red in it. It smells HEAVENLY. I couldn’t quite recall the smell of the tea from the dry leaves, but now I get that sweet potato, honey soaked barely scent. Mm it smells pretty delicious!

As for the taste, this one is hitting the spot perfectly today! A nice malty chocolate, and honey aftertaste with an almost wheaty taste. This tea doesn’t seem as thick as some others, which is a nice change, just a light, luscious black tea. The honey notes aren’t as strong either, but the maltiness is excellent. Oh, and as I just finished my cup, the smoothness of this tea really became noticeable. I think the smoothness is maybe more pronounced with gongfu brewing!

Overall, this tea is good both western style and gongfu. I am looking forward to seeing how the flavor changes as I do multiple steepings of this one this afternoon. A bit of a sad sipdown, but I am pleased I had the chance to try this tea while it was available! And maybe another batch will come out this spring or summer :)

Boiling

Hello all, I am an electrical engineer (read:NERD :D), who is a bit obsessed with tea! I discovered loose tea in 2011, DAVIDsTEA in 2012 and it took off from there. I really started drinking/enjoying tea because it was excellent to take to class in the morning and because I can’t handle coffee! (unless it’s a really good cappuccino or latte, or decent decaf haha)

MissLena’s rating system
(as of 04/19/13)

90-94: Awesome teas, will probably purchase again a few times
80-89: Very good tea, may restock at some point
70-79: happy to have tried and will gladly finish, but not restock
60-69: not horrible, but not the best, will finish if I have some though
50-59: not a favorite, probably will have a tough time finishing the bag
-50: yuck. I don’t want to have it ever again.

Canada