I believe this is my first straight Earl Grey tea I’ve had in loose form!! I have only tried EGC before this, so I was quite looking forward to it. I had my nap, so now I can actually write a decent tasting note on a new tea. Also, first tasting note, woo!

The dry smell is soo much bergamot. Wow. It is just crazy how aromatic it is, very perfumed, but not unpleasantly so. I tried steeping this for 4 minutes, again on the low end of the scale of 4-6. The steeped smell is also very bergamot, but toned down at least.

As for the flavor, it is pretty good! This being my first straight EG in loose form, and having not had any bagged of it in AGES, I might be easily impressed, but it seems to be tasty! There is definitely a robust bergamot flavor with a nice black base, a small hint of dryness at the end of the sip, but not overly drying. I don’t think it is bitter, but it is fairly strong, but not to the point where it’s soapy, which is quite a win, as I had a rough bunch of cups with the last bit of EGC by DavidsTea due to a horrid soapiness lol.

Overall, this is a pleasant Earl Grey! I think I still like the cream ones a bit more just because they are a bit more decadent, but this feels like a nice stable tea that makes me feel very alert and almost strong haha, it seems like it could become a solid staple tea for dreary mornings or something. I am definitely not an expert on EG, but I like this one, whether it’s super true to flavor, I couldn’t tell you because I don’t have much to compare to, but it’s enjoyable. Yay for tea :) and another tasty find from Sloane Tea Company!

MissLena’s rating system
(as of 04/19/13)

90-94: Awesome teas, will probably purchase again a few times
80-89: Very good tea, may restock at some point
70-79: happy to have tried and will gladly finish, but not restock
60-69: not horrible, but not the best, will finish if I have some though
50-59: not a favorite, probably will have a tough time finishing the bag
-50: yuck. I don’t want to have it ever again.

Canada