I bought a small amount of this last night for my mom..I would have given her the whole package, but she’s never had mate before and is bad with caffeine so I told her I’d try it first and let her know how strong it is (and if it causes jitters lol). It’s also rainy here and I am sleepy and I would like a bit of energy to try my first gaiwan! It came from Verdant and I picked it up today woot!

The dry smell is soo cinnamon and chocolate! My goodness! The leaves, if that’s what they are, are super powdery and everything is a rich, dark reddish brown. I steeped for 6 minutes. The resulting liquor is very dark and coffee looking, and smells moreso like a chai from all the cinnamon.

The taste is quite good! It actually tastes remarkably similar to how it smelled, which is surprising that is is so similar. It is rich and warm, the cinnamon is the main flavor, and the cocoa is nicely holding it up with a dark, rich flavor. The mouthfeel is actually not too heavy, even though there is a small film on the top from the chocolate, but I realized not all of it dissolved, might have to eat it after haha. I can feel the mate already a bit, just making me more alert. I will monitor its effects, as I really want my mom to be able to try this, she would love it because it is quite chocolatey and she loves chais.

Overall, definitely an interesting tea. I won’t rate it yet until I see how the mate is, and I also burnt my tongue today on a Tim Horton’s white hot chocolate, so it might be affecting my taste buds a bit, it hurts anyways haha. But I am happy I did try this, I am not the biggest fan of chocolate teas but I am happy mom wanted to try some, because it isn’t too bad! Probably a nice tea for every once in a while. :)