drank Coconut Grove by DAVIDsTEA

My mom wanted to get more Cocomint Cream at DavidsTea this week, but it’s seasonal, I sadly informed her, and she was like oh no! So I told her she should try this one, and I picked some up as well. I also gave her my remaining bag of cocomint :) anyways, she splurged on 50 g of this after smelling it and tasting it iced in the store (I did too, it was pretty yummy) and tasted it earlier this week and loved it! So now it’s my turn to try it hot.

The dry smell is a nice coconut, not nearly as oily and overpowering as the coconut oolong, more of a nice shredded coconut smell. A lot lighter, the vanilla might also be helping that. I steeped for 4 minutes with 185 degree water. The steeped smell is maybe a bit more coconutty, but not bad.

I much prefer this coconut flavor than the oolong one. There isn’t that oilyness, its a dryer, shredded coconut flavor. It still is pretty strong, so that must be the flavoring coming out. But this one is much more bearable. The vanilla might be helping with that as well, or at least keeping the oilyness from becoming gross. I like the white base too, although not the price at DT haha. It’s light yet sweet, so far just sweet enough, almost on the line of too sweet, but more along the lines of the second steep of the oolong (I could hardly stand the first of that one). I will have to try the second steep of this at some point as well to see how mellow it is.

Overall, I am pleased it is not as potent as other coconut teas from DavidsTea. Coco Lemon Thai still beats this by a mile though, but I am happy to have tried this, and will gladly finish my 15 or 25 g of it, can’t remember how much I got. As I continue to drink it, the more I like it :) also very happy my mom liked it!

Fjellrev

Hmm, I’m curious about this one, especially since you describe the coconut as different from the oolong.

MissLena

It seemed different to me anyways haha it might be the base that’s making the difference too, whatever it is, I prefer it!

Fjellrev

That’s good to know! Because I looove the oolong but am currently in the middle of nowhere and am worried none of the stores would have any left over the next few weeks if I may be able to get to one. This sounds like it may be a good stand-in.

MissLena

Oh it definitely would be! It was quite good cold in the store as well :)

thlowe

If you want to get your cocomint cream fix, this tea is extremely similar!

Comments

Fjellrev

MissLena

Oh it definitely would be! It was quite good cold in the store as well :)

thlowe

If you want to get your cocomint cream fix, this tea is extremely similar!

MissLena’s rating system
(as of 04/19/13)

90-94: Awesome teas, will probably purchase again a few times
80-89: Very good tea, may restock at some point
70-79: happy to have tried and will gladly finish, but not restock
60-69: not horrible, but not the best, will finish if I have some though
50-59: not a favorite, probably will have a tough time finishing the bag
-50: yuck. I don’t want to have it ever again.

Canada