drank Lady Grey by Twinings

I have been drinking this tea for some time now, and I finally decided that I should write an official review to share with others. There are three important factors that draw me to this tea: 1) Complexity, 2) Hardiness, and 3) Versatility. Lady Grey is a variation on the traditional Earl Grey tea. In the case of Twining’s Lady Grey, the traditional black tea with bergamot oil is supplemented by flavors of lemon and Seville oranges. Here is where the complexity comes into the equation. While the typical Earl Grey is a bold, straightforward cup, I found that the Lady Grey’s flavor varies through the pot and across the tongue. The various citrus notes can be tasted quite separately.

Though the packaging recommends a steep time of 2-4 minutes, I have left this tea steeping for an indefinite (15+ minutes with no adverse effects to the flavor). Typical black teas run the risk of steeping a brew that is too astringent, because of being left in the water for too long. Not so with the Lady Grey – this tea is hardy!

The versatility aspect of this tea comes into play with both additions and temperature. Trying it with cream and sugar was a pleasant (though not necessary) experience. I found that it could be consumed hot or cooled, and it was equally tasty at either point.

For those who like Earl Grey or citrusy black teas, give Lady Grey a try! I recommend it as a pleasant addition to one’s tea cupboard. On my personal enjoyment scale, I would give it a 70/100.

205 °F / 96 °C

Will gladly talk all day about tea.”

Still more than glad to talk about tea – anytime, anywhere, anyplace.

My ratings, this “personal enjoyment scale” about which I talk, are just that – based on how much I enjoyed the tea. I might have enjoyed it immensely, yet do not keep it stocked for various reasons. On the flip side, I have a few teas that are “good” but not “great,” which I keep stocked for various reasons.