Based on the lack of information I have about this pu’erh (I convinced the shopkeeper to try and get more information from the distributor), I really have very little idea where to begin. Gaiwan brewing, starting with a rinse and then 30 second steeps. The wet leaves are dark, with almost a reddish tinge to the leaves. They had the same earthy scent that reminded me of good pu’erh, but with a darkness to it, almost a mustiness.
The first cup looks a bit murky, which worries me, as good pu’erh is supposed to be bright. However, it does have a nice redness to the liquor, which is a good sign. The first sip and the second and the rest of the first cup all taste dry and sour. This is not a good sign for this tea.
I steep the tea again. The colour and aroma have not much changed. The flavour is better, not as sour, still a bit dry. But now it seems that I’m losing a lot of the good parts of the flavour.
I finish off the second steeping and decide I’m going to stop for now and try this tea again later. Maybe it would be better gong fu.

Will gladly talk all day about tea.”

Still more than glad to talk about tea – anytime, anywhere, anyplace.

My ratings, this “personal enjoyment scale” about which I talk, are just that – based on how much I enjoyed the tea. I might have enjoyed it immensely, yet do not keep it stocked for various reasons. On the flip side, I have a few teas that are “good” but not “great,” which I keep stocked for various reasons.