This is the only kind of mate that I’ve ever had, given to me as a gift. It brews to a dark amber with a woody smell. I want to say bamboo, but I know that’s not quite it. The taste is, well, that same woodyness that I can’t identify. It also has a very slight sour taste, kinda like the way black coffee gets sour as it cools. Which isn’t to say it makes you pucker; it’s a very small amount of sourness that is mostly covered by a sweet chocolate flavor.

While I really enjoy this tea, the leaves are so small that they’re a pain to clean out of my teapot, and re-infusing them is never worth it, since the taste becomes watery on only the second steep. So, good on occasion, but not something that I drink very often.

A friend once asked me, if I could have anything in the world, what would I want? I immediately answered, “Superpowers, specifically superspeed like the Flash.” He said that didn’t count because it wasn’t real, so my second choice was a cupboard full of every flavor of tea in existence. He promptly told me that that was a waste of a wish and said he would ask for the world’s biggest yacht.

But the more I think about it, the more I’m sure that I made the better choice. Slowly saving up money for higher quality teas is helping to convince me. Off I go to taste as many teas as I possibly can (and maybe dream about superpowers along the way).