drank Golden Snail by Harney & Sons

I received this tea in the mail today (along with my beloved Queen Catherine!!) and just had to try this first. I was hoping that it would be similar in taste to Chicago Tea Garden’s Golden Bi Luo (especially because this one from Harney is much more reasonably priced). However, this tea isn’t the same – but it is at least just as good. I initially tried this without additions and it was toasty, slightly malty and really does remind you of unsweetened cocoa. This tea is actually more similar to Premium Steap’s Emperor’s Red which is great since that is one of my favorite teas ever. I added a bit of sweetener and milk, but I think this tea is a bit too delicate. The milk really overpowered the tea, but it was still drinkable. I am working on the second infusion now at 7min and although there is a little less body, the flavors are still present without any bitterness. I really am enjoying this tea and I have to say that the small, delicate rolled leaves are so cute.

On a side note, I really thought that Harney and Sons only used black tins like the one in the photo, but my tin is gold! I have to say that was a nice surprise and a little fancy which may have influenced my choice of drinking this before the Queen.

ashmanra

Sounds like we placed similar orders! I, too, received Golden Snail and Queen Catherine today, as well as Chocolate Mint, Rose Scented Black, and Vanilla Black. I agree completely on your assessment of this tea as well. So smooth and sweet!

mpierce87

I’m thinking that you, JacquelineM and myself really do have similar tea interests. I only purchased Queen Catherine and Golden Snail this time around. I’ll be looking forward to your review on the Rose Scented Black as it is one I’ve considered before.

SimplyJenW

Can I join your little group of China Black love?

Comments

ashmanra

mpierce87

SimplyJenW

Can I join your little group of China Black love?

Formally known as mrawlins2

I am a former coffee drinker turned tea lover.

Black tea is probably my favorite type of tea, but I rather enjoy most types… I’m even developing a taste for pu-erh.

Rating Scale:
0-10: This tea is either flavorless or just plain undrinkable. I will avoid these teas in the future.

11-20: I was only able to make it through a few sips before pouring the tea out.

21-30: I may have been able to make it through the first cup but the thought of having another has me cringing.

31-40: Teas in this range are not horrible, but nothing I would seek out in the future.

41-60: Would drink if offered, but would not purchase for myself.

61-70: Okay, nothing special

71-80: Enjoyable, but I have to be in the mood for these. Probably would purchase if I found a really great price.

81-90: Pretty good tea, will probably be one of my favorites.

91-95: These teas are really excellent. I wouldn’t necessarily run out and buy more of these (just because there are so many teas out there that I haven’t tried), but I would miss this tea.

96-99: Terrific, very impressive.

100: This special rating is reserved for teas that are absolutely perfect in my opinion. I will only give out a rating of 100 to one tea per category (Earl Grey, unflavored black, dessert tea, Irish Breakfast, etc). These are teas that I really want to have around.

Perfect Teas so Far: