Well, I finally tried this one again. It appears to be official. As long as I make it with my tap water at home, I like it well enough to drink it. I still wouldn’t reach for it over some others, but it won’t go to waste. The smoke is very subdued when I use my home water. The notes I liked about the sample I previously had were all there, though also a bit more subdued. While better, I’m still reducing the rating since it wasn’t what I had that I previously rated so highly and I will not be likely to restock this one.

Goes to show how different harvests can have different flavor profiles I guess. The sample I had was steeped at work with the filtered water and CoWorker & I loved it. So I eventually got a full package of it. We steeped up a pot again at work of the new stuff and we both thought it was way too ashy and harsh. It was a bummer at the time.

I’m glad to know that my unpure water at home can salvage this for my tastebuds. :) I’ve had this happen with a few other teas, too. Love them at home, despise them at work. Could also be that I don’t get actual boiling water at work ever. Whatever the factors, this goes into the home only pile o’ tea. :)

This is also one of the teas that I still don’t get anything out of with the tiny steep time increments. I do it all in one go so that probably impacts what I get out of this. YMMV as always. :)

Bonnie

I steep this tea for 3 minutes and never under leaf, like laoshan black. I also have finicky taste buds because of my fibromyalgia so I HAVE to filter all my tea water even though the water here is great. I can taste minerals when they change the tea flavor. Got my filter pitcher at Best Buy because it filters fast and isn’t huge. Might be ok at work.

Nicole/Tea-Historic

That was what I thought was odd. The filtered water was what made it taste like smoke. My unfiltered tap water at home makes it better for me. /shrug

Bonnie

Maybe if the water is commercially filtered, it’s through an old salt/rock system? Those do taste weird.

Comments

Bonnie

Nicole/Tea-Historic

Bonnie

Tea afficianado & founder of the Midwest Tea Festival. I wish I could make a living creating and serving tea parties, but alas, bills prevent that possibility. :) So I make do by catering tea parties for friends and co-workers and drinking tons of tea with my cats on my lap. :) I am also the proprietor of Tea-Historic, a tiny online dinosaur themed tea shop.

Kansas City, MO