drank Yu Lu Yan Cha Black by Verdant Tea

Well, I finally tried this one again. It appears to be official. As long as I make it with my tap water at home, I like it well enough to drink it. I still wouldn’t reach for it over some others, but it won’t go to waste. The smoke is very subdued when I use my home water. The notes I liked about the sample I previously had were all there, though also a bit more subdued. While better, I’m still reducing the rating since it wasn’t what I had that I previously rated so highly and I will not be likely to restock this one.

Goes to show how different harvests can have different flavor profiles I guess. The sample I had was steeped at work with the filtered water and CoWorker & I loved it. So I eventually got a full package of it. We steeped up a pot again at work of the new stuff and we both thought it was way too ashy and harsh. It was a bummer at the time.

I’m glad to know that my unpure water at home can salvage this for my tastebuds. :) I’ve had this happen with a few other teas, too. Love them at home, despise them at work. Could also be that I don’t get actual boiling water at work ever. Whatever the factors, this goes into the home only pile o’ tea. :)

This is also one of the teas that I still don’t get anything out of with the tiny steep time increments. I do it all in one go so that probably impacts what I get out of this. YMMV as always. :)

Bonnie

I steep this tea for 3 minutes and never under leaf, like laoshan black. I also have finicky taste buds because of my fibromyalgia so I HAVE to filter all my tea water even though the water here is great. I can taste minerals when they change the tea flavor. Got my filter pitcher at Best Buy because it filters fast and isn’t huge. Might be ok at work.

Nicole

That was what I thought was odd. The filtered water was what made it taste like smoke. My unfiltered tap water at home makes it better for me. /shrug

Bonnie

Maybe if the water is commercially filtered, it’s through an old salt/rock system? Those do taste weird.

Comments

Bonnie

Nicole