This type of tea (I think I’ve seen it called king’s tea?) fascinates me whenever I see it, so I figured for the steep price of $4.34/50 g I should throw some into my Lochan order.

It’s proved very interesting. It smelled like an herb shop but very mild. I thought I could make out the scent of licorice which I think is added to these sometimes. The rolled-up leaves look completely encased in a powdery substance and took longer to open up than normal. I expected it to taste pretty strongly of ginseng, but my first sip really surprised me; it just tastes like a dark, toasty oolong. But, as I proceed and especially on the second infusion I’m getting a strong aftertaste and a sweetness that really lingers at the back of my tongue. I’m still not sure what I’m tasting, but it’s an interesting adventure.

Art history and anthropology undergrad who prefers curling up with her cat and a cup of tea to writing her papers.

Toronto