I’m not going to divulge how many bags of 52teas tea arrived today. It will keep me happy for quite some while, which is sad, because it means I should resist the weekly teas for at least a month.

Anyhow, Hot Buttered Banana Bread is steeping in my pot. The scent of the dry tea is fabulous – most banana scents are overwhelming and cloying. This one is just right (Goldilocks would be pleased!). As it steeps, banana wafts up from the pot, with some nutty undertones. I haven’t had a black tea from 52teas before, so I’m much looking forward to my first sip.

The black base has a maltiness along with an astringency to it that really compliments the sweet banana, and the, well, nutty walnut. I would not have thought to marry these flavours, and yet this so totally works, I’m really very happy I ordered this. This would make a perfect breakfast tea or morning break tea.

I don’t know Frank, you’re making me rethink my rating system and my previously stated preference for unadulterated oolongs.