Dark oolong tea, with odd fruit flavours!

I like the fig in this tea, its rather refreshing and peculiar at the same time. From smelling, the scent is really quite strong and perfumed, it looked like a good jumble of things together and i like oolong teas so i gave this a go. This oolong is dark, one of the darker ones I’ve had. I normally like the lighter oolong teas but this was an interesting experiment for me i guess. Leaves were dark and rather hard (even after steeping), never had this type of oolong before. It resembled more of a black tea but it just didn’t taste like one.

The taste was all there, though watermelon, honeydew and fig made a rather weird hot melon taste with fig. I was hoping to taste the fig more. Too bad i never tried to make this one iced before i finished the whole bag, not sure if i will go and get more of it. The main thing that killed this tea, is the carrot flakes. I mean c’mon carrot? what? Is it an attempt to create something exotic or rather used as a weight filler? I didn’t like the carrot taste and wished it was left out.

1st steeping was best, second was drinkable just alot less taste and more of the carrot flavour coming through.

Stopped drinking water, switched to tea. =)
(ok, this is a lie but still :) )

How I rate teas is pretty simple, different teas have different expectations based on quality and price. I’ll rate a tea based on how good it is for its category/price point. I think i rate pretty fairly, I’m not afraid to give a bad score to a bad tea, and it’s relatively hard to get perfect score (partially because i believe there are only so many that can attain such a title)

I like oolong/green teas the most
black, white, tisanes to a lesser part.

I re-steep EVERYTHING, as that’s how I’ve learned from my parents. Blacks teas normally to a max of two times.

I like it when the tea actually looks of quality (eg. whole unbruised leaves). I hate it when i get a tea, and half of it is cut up stems of the plant… give me leaves!

I drink all my teas black and occasionally with sweetener. I do drink coffee too, and love espressos and cappuccinos. Yup, I do my coffee black too. Guess, it is to say I like strong flavours.
My current way of steeping tea, is my french press which i just got a month ago. I love it (well maybe not my cheapy one; looking to get a bodum one day). I used to just dump leaves at the bottom of my cup..

Ok. Rating meanings…

0-49: Various degrees of suck. Either terrible value or just not good.
50-59: It’s drinkable. I’ll finish my cup.
60-69: Not bad… but not good.
70-79: okay to drink, nothing too special, will not be a re-buy.
80-89: Enjoyable cups.
90-99: Worth holding on to.
100: Um.. I’ll tell you when I get here.

About me?

University student, photographer, bartender..